Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just wondering.  (Read 1884 times)

blazing glory

Just wondering.
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:17:14 am »

But are there any games that use a job system like final fantasy 5? beside's final fantasy tactics,though I don't expect any games that use such a job system.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Just wondering.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:45 am »

Tactics Advance and A2 had job systems like Tactics, although you could probably deduce that :p
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:26:10 am »

Bravely Default is pretty good if you want something FFV-esque.
They started to collide~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:02 am »

Can you describe what the job system is?  I never played, but I might know the concept...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:27 am »

Well dungeon villagehas a job system but you dont control the *heroes* and its an android game. Might like it might not, i know i did.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:07:29 am »

Can you describe what the job system is?  I never played, but I might know the concept...

The job system is a system where characters do not have a "fixed" class but can switch between jobs. A knight could become an archer, while keeping his previous stats (or, when mastered, skills even), or get an altered amount, like a knight having +80% strength from the base and 20% dex from base, while an archer has +200% dex from base. Some jobs can only be accessed if you have all the prerequisites, like knowing 5 skills from the knight and 5 skills from the white mage (healer) in order to become a paladin.

To TC:
- Tactics Ogre has a nearly exact same job mechanic as Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
- Game Dev Story has a really basic version of the job system, along with a couple of other games by Kairosoft

Those are the two games that pop into my mind. I'll be sure to post more if I remember there being more :)

Edit: The Final Fantasy mmo's have a job system too if I remember correctly. At least the oldest one had.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:06:59 am by Shadowgandor »

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:09:54 am »

I don't know if it is your kind of game or not but I would recommend Elona along with some other roguelikes. DCSS and Nethack (Slash'EM) are my favourites. You might also want to try Dungeons of Dredmor, but there you have 7 classes which you choose and you stick with them the whole game. It's a kind of semi-job system. If you are looking only for tactical games, I'm not sure what I can recommend.

blazing glory

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:50 am »

Okay thanks,it's just the job system seems like a nice feature,I wondered if any other games used it.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:34:39 am »

Okay thanks,it's just the job system seems like a nice feature,I wondered if any other games used it.

Outside of the digital realm, Dungeons and Dragons 3.x Ed. has a handful of basic classes (de facto jobs), and lots of prestige classes with widely varying prerequisites.

If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:24 am »

But are there any games that use a job system like final fantasy 5? beside's final fantasy tactics,though I don't expect any games that use such a job system.

Titles in the Ogre Battle series (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle Gaiden, Ogre Battle 64, Tactics Ogre, and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis) use similar systems.

Also, Final Fantasy 3 and Bravely Default use the same system as FF5.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:39 am »

Tactics Ogre isn't quite like FFT or FFT:A.

There it's just a straight class tree with a few branches. You can revert to older classes but it's not recommended. Each class has stat requirements that can change after every battle. (Mostly alignment.)

In my mind, a true job system is one like FFT, where you can switch and change at will and most of what you've done is retained. That definitely doesn't describe Tactics Ogre.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »

What about Disgaea series?

Truth be told, I haven't played any of them myself. And a quick search on wikipedia doesn't tell me if class system is anything like FF Tactics.
However, I do remember reading review on the first game years ago and there was a screenshot showing a large selection of different classes. It looked like you could either upgrade existing ones or switch them entirely?
More search is needed.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »

guild wars 1 had a system of a locked primary class and a secondary that you can switch whenever you want from the other classes.
so you could have a:
warrior/monk
warrior/elementarist
warrior/necromancer
etc

(gw2 doesn't have that system anymore though and not even sure if gw1 servers are even still up)