Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins and other stuff as catapult ammunution.  (Read 1595 times)

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
  • A young philosopher playing DF.
    • View Profile
Goblins and other stuff as catapult ammunution.
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:15:23 am »

Hello,

i have a suggestion to make. It should be possible to throw nearly anything with the catapults, for example Goblins. To do this, u would need at least some rope or chain. Additionally u should be able to set them on fire with oil or something similar - although the risk of burning the siege dwarf and freeing the animal/monster/furniture. To do this, there should be an extra option in the catapult menu, as well as in some workshop (probably siege) like a "bind/rope X" option. Also, in very rare cases mad dwarfes would try to bind themselves or other dwarfs, cats and so on just to throw them into despair!

Though this might be somewhat effective, it should not be overpowered but fun to watch and read. :) Also, the armor and physique should determine the damage done. Imaging a Troll is dieing by a flying burning chair. Sometime the ammonation Goblins/Elves/Cats/Dwarfes even survive the throw and attack the nearest enemy, or be crippled for the rest of their miserable live.

Additionally this could be an option for adventure-mode fortresses as well ... maybe even as a sardonic punishment for your hero.

Some impressions:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b9vnPFGnYzU/UViOrb8t2XI/AAAAAAAAHzA/O0vwIo8nzms/s1600/horrible%20histories%20catapult%20flying%20pigs%20toys.jpg
http://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/images/2013/05/catapult3.jpg

What do you think?
In my opinion this sounds like a well worthy addition, that makes the game more fun, interesting. Furthermore its not a very  complex system to implement, especially compared with the outcome of fun.

Vote for this! Vote for Lanies Catapult Idea!

Greetings,
Lanie.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:40:36 am by Lanie »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins and other stuff as catapult ammunation.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:25:54 am »

Bloat359, UNCONVENTIONAL AMMUNITION, (Future): You should be able to attempt to use various non-standard items in missile weapons and siege weapons.

Not sure if that includes firing live individuals though, but it certainly shows the general notion is planned :>

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins and other stuff as catapult ammunation.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:44 am »

Yeaay

Arowhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins and other stuff as catapult ammunution.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:50 pm »

I think a living GCS would be the most frightening catapult amunition of all time.
Another important reason is graphics: Toady is running out of letters.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:22:24 am »

Done in dfhack. Hope that helped.

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »

Thank You for the Link. I will look into this. (Though,i dont use DF Hack as long as i dont have certain bugs.)
Still i think it would be better, to get this feature in the vanilla version of DF, than using another tool.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:35 pm »

You could, in theory, use a drawbridge? You'd have to calibrate it and sight it in, but it could work.

Bonus points for both of those things also applying to real catapults. Though it would very much be an awesome addition to the game to have something proper for it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:56:11 pm »

Or you could shoot jars of beeeeeees out of the catapults.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »

You could, in theory, use a drawbridge? You'd have to calibrate it and sight it in, but it could work.
As far I know, bridges only throw things up, not at the specified direction...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:44:02 pm »

Or you could shoot jars of beeeeeees out of the catapults.

In first implementation it would probably leave the bees behind like forbidden liquids. Then you'd have random swarms of BEEEEEES!! which would be a hilarious bug.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 11:41:15 am »

Jars of bees is a pretty funny idea, imo. Maybe we also could bombard our foes with jars of blood etc.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 12:36:33 am »

Jars of bees is a pretty funny idea, imo. Maybe we also could bombard our foes with jars of blood etc.

forgotten beast blood. "milked" from captured forgotten beasts. Poisonous blooded ones.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]