Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get rid of notifications about plant seeds  (Read 1066 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get rid of notifications about plant seeds
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:59:53 pm »

How can I get rid of these notifications about plant seeds?

No, I don't have any barrels on the seeds stockpile, bags only.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of notifications about plant seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »

My overly complicated scheme, which has had near-100% success, is to create individual 1x2 stockpiles for each type of seed, and allow 1 barrel in each stockpile. A pain to set up, but it only has to be done once, and I like to think the effect is rather fetching aesthetically.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 06:47:59 am »

Don't you end up with all the seeds in the barrel and a massive cancelation feast when Urist McHauler takes said barrel and all the seeds inside to store a single plump helmet spawn in the brewery ?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:32 am »

I've seen the occasional single cancellation notice maybe once or twice a year, but that's it.

PintOfBass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »

I stopped playing for a year or so and just recently picked it up again but I recall I had a strategy for this.  I think what I was doing was having the seed stockpiles linked to a feeder pile, much like what you do with gems for a jewelers shop so he isn't interrupted.  So something like this, stockpile A takes from anywhere, stockpile B only takes from A.  Do not use barrels, but rather ensure you have plenty of bags.  Also using smaller more specific stockpiles instead of a large general one helps as well.  To clarify AFAIR the seeds in each bag will be like with like, but bags in a barrel will be mixed, a situation that will produce most of this.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »

I also use the two stockpile approach with no barrels.
I have a 3x3 central stairwell. Surrounding that stairwell is a collection of 3x3 farm plots all separated by "aisles" which is actually the seed stockpiles. The 16 tiles immediately surrounding the stairwell is the feeder pile that accepts from everywhere. And the rest of the area is the main seed stockpile that only accepts from the feeder stockpile. Looks something like this

=============
=~~~=~~~=~~~=
=~~~=~~~=~~~=
=~~~=~~~=~~~=
=============
=~~~=XXX=~~~=
=~~~=XXX=~~~=
=~~~=XXX=~~~=
=============
=~~~=~~~=~~~=
=~~~=~~~=~~~=
=~~~=~~~=~~~=
=============

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:29:50 pm »

My solution is to use extremely small farms.

25 farm tiles with a single farmer is more than enough to feed my 100 dwarves, I think I can get by with even less. That way the planting sessions are very short, and there are not many opportunities to run out of seeds.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »

My solution is to use extremely small farms.

25 farm tiles with a single farmer is more than enough to feed my 100 dwarves, I think I can get by with even less. That way the planting sessions are very short, and there are not many opportunities to run out of seeds.
I use just a bit more than that: 1x3 farm plots for each type of plant, including outdoor plants. I mix up my underground crops to get four plot-seasons per year. Also, and this is important, only one farmer. With no dye crops and no access to sun berries, that's 30 active farm tiles per season, on average.

Ten years in I had to shut most of them down, because I was drowning in food--over 40,000 prepared meals. I've even got 407 bars of rock nut soap.