Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The All-Consuming Terror of Mr. Friendly Hugs (bug?)  (Read 1405 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
The All-Consuming Terror of Mr. Friendly Hugs (bug?)
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:42:09 am »

So, I've run into what I'm pretty sure is a bug, but I don't really know what to do about it.

My fortress was chugging along normally, when I get a red message not unlike a Titan arriving:

I figure he's some sort of attacking historical figure, so I go to the units list so I can find him and order my squads to kill him: (I edited this one to be less wide)

Oh, okay. He's friendly. Is he going to do anything? I get my dwarven soldiers ready to intercept in case he suddenly becomes hostile or something. The situation progress until I get a message: Urist McFisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Human. Actually, more than one message:

In fact, as he wandered towards the dwarves' favorite fishing spot, they all ran and scattered in fear of the well-meaning, friendly human, much like children afraid of a theme park mascot. He's not even attacking them, I checked.

I'm currently not sure what to do. Should I kill him? Would that piss off a human civ? Will he just leave? Why the hell are my dwarves afraid of him? He's currently gone for a dip in the river too deep for my dwarves anyway, so I've paused the game and come seeking advice. Or an explanation. Or anything.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The All-Consuming Terror of Mr. Friendly Hugs (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:46:41 am »

He's a werebeast. When the full moon comes, he'll transform.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:48:53 am »

That's a werebeast which transformed before it got revealed. They usually run straight for the map edge rather than wander, especially into a pool or something.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:50:26 am »

Werebeast who came at the wrong part of the mo-- dammit, ninja'd while I was making sure a friend was okay.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:50:17 pm »

Awww Y'all beat me to it.   :P
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »

To answer the rest of your questions, sure, feel free to kill him. No-one will care. Or, if you feel like it, wait until he transforms and let him bite some of your dwarves and start a were-beast fortress. Just try and keep one dwarf separated from the rest, because, I believe, if everyone turns, you lose the next time they all shift.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »

Preferably have the one who isn't a werebeast as a vampire, so he or she won't need to consume things (besides blood).
And make sure you have LOTS of blood extracted from stuff.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 03:28:28 pm »

Preferably have the one who isn't a werebeast as a vampire, so he or she won't need to consume things (besides blood).
And make sure you have LOTS of blood extracted from stuff.
Vampires won't consume blood extracted from anything.
And I'm pretty sure that you CAN have an all were-beast fortress, based on comments of several people claiming to have done it.

I hear its not worth having all of your workshops and doors demolished every month. I imagine its like what happens if dwarves ever get hopelessly drunk, and once a month it happens to the entire fortress. Doors dislodged from their hinges, levers broken, workshops ripped down, and all of the destroyed beds... *Shudders*

Unless you intend on getting the entire population in a room, sealed by a bridge closing to them, to close off the mayhem every month. Then you need a reliable lever operator, or a very intricate timing mechanism, painstaking micromanagement, and a lot of patience to deal with the issue of getting everyone there in time.

Personally, I'd rather create an intricate network of hatches, a magma reseviour above each layer of my fortress, and an intricate system of pressure plates which randomly dumps small amounts of magma randomly into my fortress. Actually, picturing it, I want to do it now just because...

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 05:28:00 pm »

Don't forget to balance the entire fortress on a single support right in the middle of the were-beast hub. And set it to auto collapse if you don't pull a lever every few minutes/hours. And feed the merchants into it to spread the Fun far and wide.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.