Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Thoughts on Game-As-A-Service?  (Read 5889 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Game-As-A-Service?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:56 am »

The only nitpick I have is that changing the rules is fine, so long as you give the players enough time to adjust.

In fact, that is usually how games do it. By constantly giving the players new elements.

But in this case I think it is more that they had a bad example.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2014, 02:39:32 am »

I agree that companies are trying to undermine our rational decision making, but they do it to so-called "core" gamers as well. e.g. By making old-school RPG's or nintendo hard platformers and advertiseing them as such even if they are not actually very good games.

I'm confused by this... Shitty games aren't new (E.T. for Atari 2600, Daikatana, BC3k, etc.) so you feel targeted just because the shitty games now are in genres this forum tends to like? Or did I misread that?

I don't even like legitimate games from the two genres I gave as an example, And I fully agree that shitty games are hardly a new development.

I was just demonstrating that companies are going to target any group of consumers with piles of crap (not just the non-core gamers). It also happenes outside of video games.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2014, 03:24:13 am »

In exploitation film defense though. They are terrible movies (usually, with a few odd exceptions) but they are terrible movies that fulfill their targeted audience expectation.

While Alexandertnt was talking more about a product that targets the key demographic with something that seems to hit all the right notes with being good, but in truth it is a let down.

For example Risk of Rain is an ok game, but its in game footage trailer is made of lies to make its game more attractive. Yet you wouldn't know that unless you bought it. (Honestly I'd use another game as an example... but honestly it just set it up as the perfect example! I've seen games with misleading trailers that are meant to look like gameplay but you kind of know it isn't. I never seen a game that shows game footage that is just a pile of lies before...)

While an exploitation film generally speaking, you know is bad before going into it... but you aren't watching it for that purpose most of the time.

---

Don't get me wrong... movies that suck but try to pretend they don't until you buy them exist.

Good Luck Chuck, for example advertised itself as a Alba movie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:29:45 am by Neonivek »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2014, 04:17:42 am »

That's probably what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. I... can't recall the last time I looked at marketing for a video game as any kind of indicator that I should/should not buy it. Same with movies (which actually seems like a pretty decent metaphor for the service model) with trailers that only tell me what other people I've never met allegedly said, instead of what the movie's about. I just mentally discard it as garbage data.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:28 am »

That's probably what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. I... can't recall the last time I looked at marketing for a video game as any kind of indicator that I should/should not buy it. Same with movies (which actually seems like a pretty decent metaphor for the service model) with trailers that only tell me what other people I've never met allegedly said, instead of what the movie's about. I just mentally discard it as garbage data.

That just comes from being a jaded consumer.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2014, 08:04:34 am »

This seems relevant to the side-topic about Nintendo Hard games: Extra Credits: When Difficult Is Fun (7m43s long).

(Extra Credits is pretty good.)

I'm just popping in to say thanks for posting that link. I hadn't heard of that series before and I just blew 2 hours watching various episodes. Excellent series.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2014, 03:37:08 am »

Quite frankly, if you've ever paid for a game that requires internet upkeep by the company making the game, expect that upkeep to end at some point. You have paid for a product with an indefinite end date.

If you've paid for an early access offer for a game, you've payed for a dream. Your dream, not the company making the game's dream. They're stoked to get some cash before it's even finished.

If you've supported a kickstarter, even more-so, because they couldn't/didn't get funding from other (very) financially aware sources. But they got it from you. Hope for the best on that one.

Some games are good. Some are bad. Some probably should have been made. Some did. Some probably got made due to idiots with dreams. Not necessarily their wallet. But yeah. You did that. Well done.

I'm not sure how someone, knowing the potential pitfalls of this system, as a consumer, can feel burned.

There's arseholes out there. It's the world we live in.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2014, 03:48:54 am »

And I will slowly feel e-smug that eventually every game on consoles WILL be able to be emulated on PC, as long as enough people give a crap about it. Because if it's shite, why would they muck around that much? (to the point of emulating servers in some cases)

PC is probably the way of the future in gaming, but we know it's the way of the past as well.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]