Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground civilizations and histories  (Read 822 times)

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground civilizations and histories
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:49:58 am »

This idea sort of got touched on in the "Drow" thread but I thought it deserved one of its own.

What if there could be civilizations underground that fought over territory the way humans elves and dwarves do. I think Drow are a dead ringer for one of the races. You could also have gnomes serving as like the kobolds (also touched on in Drow and elsewhere). I think the third race should consist of various governments of the humanoid-animal creatures commonly found underground. Perhaps you'll have a nation of Cave Fish people, Bugmen, Olm People, etc. Trade depots could be built underground and neighboring underground civs would establish trade. You could have the UG civs be a diff color in the civ tab or maybe have them displayed only when at cavern level. As touched on in Drow i think underground civilizations would specialize mostly in bone carving, fungus harvesting/logging, gems, and arms. There could be historical figures and battles and all the things that happen in the surface world. Just as you find gods and ruins and cities up above, perhaps so below? It would be neat to come across some dark god holed up in a cave, or atop some subterran pyramid, or a mummy's crypt dug into the side of some obscure place.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Underground civilizations and histories
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:11:57 am »

It'll probably happen some day - Toady has talked about making underground tribes more interesting and falvourful, along with reworking with cavern features.