Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kicking a Diplomat Off of a Tower  (Read 2021 times)

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
Kicking a Diplomat Off of a Tower
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »

Greetings, lassies and gentledwarves, but today, I find myself in quite a bind.

You see, I'm attempting to build an awesome tower that reaches the skies and beyond and such, yet a there lies a small problem before I can fulfill my dream of a towering metropolis. That problem, funnily enough, is an irritating diplomat who won't step off of his perch on one of my windows while I try to complete the walls on the floor he's on! He's a flyer, so simply deconstructing under him doesn't do squat, and every time I try to gently push him off using a tile-fall, he always ends up landing with a broken spine, which is rather bad for the PR, if you know what I mean. Therefore, I would like to humbly ask for a solution that could somewhat gently dislodge this lazy freeloader from his window-top home and out of my territory without mutilating him.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:58:21 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Kicking a Diplomat Off of a Tower
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:26 pm »

If the problem is a diplomat, re-assign your expedition leader and they leave the map, togh i wuold just drop a magma minecart over his head, screw what the rest of the world will think, he is on the way of progress!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:39:37 pm »

Personally, I would skip that particular spot and come back to it later.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »

You could try to push him around with flowing water although I'm not sure if that works on flyers.  While flyers are funtionaly immune to most fluid traps in that they can fly over them you'd think if you built a tube around him and then flushed water through the tube he'd end up geting shoved either way.  Then agian DF physics do not always align with reality.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:48:04 pm »

You could try to push him around with flowing water although I'm not sure if that works on flyers.  While flyers are funtionaly immune to most fluid traps in that they can fly over them you'd think if you built a tube around him and then flushed water through the tube he'd end up geting shoved either way.  Then agian DF physics do not always align with reality.
I thought about the water, but hadn't considered DFHack. If you don't mind a fine layer of mud on your floors (you'll need to deconstruct and reconstruct them to get rid of it without using more hacks (which I don't know of), you can use DFHack's liquids in order to flood that particular layer of the tower and force him right off of it.

Doing it legit? That would require building a second tower all the way up to where you need the diplomat pushed out, with a pump stack inside it. If this is the way for you, say hello to your new megaproject.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:42 am »

I love the idea of starting a megaproject to deal with a minor hurdle in the construction of your current megaproject.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:38:46 am »

You could try firing ballista bolts at him. They're bugged so that they don't do too much damage, and with every shot there's a decent chance he'll dodge off the spot he's standing on.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:43 am »

Wooden ballista arrows, they cannot even dangerously hurt a child. that's indeed the best bet, provided
you have space to place a ballista.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:37 am »

If I'm remembering recent threads accurately, when you fall, you don't hit the ground; the ground attacks you and the damage is based on the ground's weight. So build a feather tree wood or candy floor as a landing cushion and try the tile-fall again?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:59:02 am »

If I'm remembering recent threads accurately, when you fall, you don't hit the ground; the ground attacks you...
Man, I love Dwarf Fortress.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:20 am »

In keeping with the standard "overly complicated solution for a simple problem", I propose setting up a goblin dispenser somewhere above the diplomat's head. With any luck, the falling goblins (or goblin chunks, depending on how many saw blades are in the dispenser) will provide the troublesome diplomat with enough motivation to jump off the wall.
Actually, any kind of creature can be used in the dispenser, including, but not limited to:
  • Dwarves
  • Elves
  • Dwarven Children
  • Kittens
  • Clowns
  • Elves
  • Serrated discs
  • Diplomats
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:02:14 pm »

Actually, any kind of creature can be used in the dispenser, including, but not limited to:
  • Serrated discs
I want your raws.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:06 am »

• Serrated discs
I want your raws.
You really don't.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »

I hate to be a killjoy with all this science going on, but have you considered just having your meeting and watching him leave?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:10 am »

I hate to be a killjoy with all this science going on, but have you considered just having your meeting and watching him leave?

Only if "Having your meeting" means "Drowning him with magma" and "Watching him leave" means "Watching him melt."

On another note, just fill a minecart with hundreds of spears, and launch the new artillery at him from outside the tower.
 -This works exceptionally well if directed straight at a slaughterhouse for elves   place where I find nice new things stained with blood trade depot.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma