Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About Armor  (Read 1296 times)

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About Armor
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:50:33 pm »

How to protect my soldier head?????
I use one metal helm.It that the best???
One of my Legendary soldier wear 3 mail shirt, 1 mail legging, 1 helm and 1 shield.In battle, he is killed by normal goblin soldier by hitting his head.
What happen my soldier wear many metal armor(helm) and shield? And It that the best protect?
Sorry for Grammar.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About Armor
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:04 pm »

Helm is almost the best. You can add a bit more protection by adding hoods, but that hardly makes a difference. Much more important thing is metal used for the helm. Adamantine is the best, steel is second best, then goes iron, bronze and copper.

And by any means the crucial part is training your dwarfs (wiki is your friend).
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:54 pm »

6 leather hoods can serve as quite a barrier for many attacks, especially arrows
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »

Actually check that your dwarves are wearing their gear. If they're allowed to wear clothes along with their armour, they might choose a cap for the clothing and then be unable to fit the helmet over it.

You can also set their uniforms so that they wear only what their uniform tells them to, but you need to have enough items lying around to cover a dwarf's body, legs, and feet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »

Use v > i to view their inventory to make sure they're wearing it like Sutremaine suggested. Also, it's very important that you use stronger materials. Copper is weakest, iron is an upgrade, then steel, and finally adamantine, which, if you haven't found it yet, just requires digging deeper.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »

a helm does great job preventing most attacks, especially bites as I often find those glancing off of goblins when they're in my cave croc farm.

still won't save you from an arrow to the head though.

I think it takes two wafers to make a helm, which is actually pretty good considering the cost ratio for most pieces of adamantine armor.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:39 pm »

If it's all you have, bones armor are (with training) surprisingly efficient at deflecting copper, bronze of lolmaterials such as silver or gold.
And excellent at protecting from animals bites and claws.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:57 am »

I use steel for armor and weapon. And I use silver for mace and hammer.
I like to use Adamantine.But I hate demon Too much.
Digging Adamantine is too dangerous.And can open gate of hell.
Sorry for Grammar.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:24 am »

Plz use spoiler tags when talking about the HFS (Hidden Fun Stuff) - or at least say Candy and Circus...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:58:10 am »

Plz use spoiler tags when talking about the HFS (Hidden Fun Stuff) - or at least say Candy and Circus...
Technically, only
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
are HFS - Adamantine isn't that much of a secret.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:24:58 am »

On topic:

Make a uniform consist of a breastplate, mail shirt, gauntlets, greaves, high boots, helm, and whatever weapons you prefer. Adding a cloak, shield, gloves, and hood add extra protective layers. For armor Candy is the best, followed by steel, then by bronze/iron.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.