Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saving Private Udib?  (Read 1148 times)

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saving Private Udib?
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »

One of my Peasant Immigrants went missing. The only reason I care for him is because his wife is well-weaponed and armored killing machine, and a militia captain. I found out just now he ain't dead, he's not appearing in my unit list but when I entered his wife's Relations (R) page and highlighted the guy...

His upper body is gone. Starving, Dehydrated, Vision lost.

How can I locate the guy? I don't mind using dfhack. I need this bastard.
Dabbling Overseer

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Private Udib?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:11 pm »

His upper body is gone means he is dead. Sorry.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:49 pm »

An old glitch where despite any real injuries, all deceased are listed as missing their upper body.   RIP lil guy

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »

Ah, I guess it's okay. If I can't find him, dorfs will neither. I wonder what happened though.
Dabbling Overseer

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:48:34 pm »

Do you use bridges a lot in your fortress? if you do there is a chance he might have been atom smashed into nothingness, just engrave a slab for him.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:12 pm »

He should be in the Dead/Missing section of the Unit list. The earlier he arrived at the fortress, the closer he'll be to the bottom of the list.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:32:13 pm »

Nah, I don't have a single bridge in my fortress. And he isn't on dead/missing list, I've searched.
Dabbling Overseer

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

Have you looked in the units listing of fort residents (that is, your dwarves)? You should be able to zoom to creature from that menu.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 03:49:35 pm »

If he was starving & dehydrated, he wouldn't have been atom-smashed, he probably walled himself into a dead end where nobody could find him.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »

I've searched again and he's on dead/missing list. Weird, maybe I screwed something up; I didn't get the "has been found dead" notification though. Still confused about how this game works D: My first successful fort. Weird stuff happening all the time, one of my miners was frozen in place just near a magma pool, only after a long time I found out I have to deconstruct the Magma Smelter in which he was. Thanks for your responses.

Dabbling Overseer

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:26:42 pm »

You press z, then enter and look in the corpse section. Highlight dwarf corpses and expend the list, then you can zoom to the remains when you find his name.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »

One of my Peasant Immigrants went missing. ...

If you see the message "Udib has been missing for a week", it means that Udib is dead and the dwarves haven't found the body yet. Who knows if it will change in the future, but at present missing creatures are always deceased.