Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin merchants?  (Read 1471 times)

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile
Goblin merchants?
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

I recently arrived to a human town, but the market is full of goblins selling authntic rat weed!
I even went to the middle tower to check if the nobles were goblin too, turns out the are human, maybe there was a goblin/human alliance?
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

Sharpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin merchants?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:01:12 pm »

That is a thing that can happen.
If you really want to know check legends.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 01:24:40 am »

This is fairly common. It usually happens when one civilisation conquers parts of another, the citizens of the conquered civilisation are integrated into their conquerer's civilisation.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:49:23 am »

I used to just find "goblin prisoners" on occasion besides the whole "goblin bandits" thing, but now I routinely find goblin merchants, goblin warriors, and goblin townsfolk in human towns. Once, I accidentally aimed an attack at a friend goblin while fighting a bunch of criminal goblins, and was subsequently "framed for a crime he didn't commit". That guy died when a hammerlord got on him while he was defending himself by spitting his last possession, coins, at him.

Moral: There is a difference between the good goblins and the bad goblins. Treat the good once nicely.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »

This just goes to show; goblins are not inherently evil, it is their upbringing or surroundings which make them the cruel monsters we know them as.

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 04:12:49 pm »

This just goes to show; goblins are not inherently evil, it is their upbringing or surroundings which make them the cruel monsters we know them as.

Sorry mate, but i cant bring up sympathy for someone who has so much good dwarven blood on his hands...
R.I.P Zan Oltaridor
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »

Sorry mate, but i cant bring up sympathy for someone who has so much good dwarven blood on his hands...
R.I.P Zan Oltaridor

[snippy]You're just sore because you got smacked by a peaceful merchant when you insisted on attacking them.

(Or are you insisting on being angry at _this_ goblin because _some other_ goblin has dwarven blood on their hands? That wouldn't show much class. You'd also have to be hostile to all dwarfs on principle if one goblinised dwarf someday hurt an adventurer.)

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:13 pm »

R.I.P Zan Oltaridor

How else are goblins going to rescue Dwarf children from the death traps known as dwarf fortresses without killing a few?