Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: give water path finding  (Read 1162 times)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
give water path finding
« on: August 19, 2006, 08:04:00 pm »

ok now I am giving my three injured dwarves in the same bed some water, and this one guy got a bucket and instead of using the empty well, or going to the river directly outside of the fortress, he chose a location halfway to the bottom of the screen to fill his bucket with water.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: give water path finding
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:16:00 pm »

Was it the place closest to the bucket if you could travel through walls?  They think like that sometimes.  I don't think they ever use wells for water giving, though I might be wrong.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:36:00 pm »

no, I figured out what it is.

they seem to be going to the piece of river that is closest to the entire mountain. which happens to be a nice little ways to the south of the entrance. I can send you a save of it if you want, my guys are not going to get better any time soon.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:50:00 pm »

Mine is doing that too - instead of walking straight out to the river (where he fishes on a daily basis) he takes the bucket in a loooong diagonal line to the northwest. Now that you mention it I think it may be closest to the actual mountain, but I'd have to check to know for sure.

Frogs and Dwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:58:00 pm »

hmmm, I always wondered about that. It does sound like what I see when the dwarves go out sometimes to the river.

Is it possible to get/drink water from a channel? I just thought about it.. never tried it.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:37:00 am »

My fortress is built to the place where the river is closest to the mountain. At least I think so. I haven't followed any cleaners around, though.

BTW, this is still my first fortress, still going strong although the appearance of three nobles (sheriff, manager and someone of House Fer) did take me by surprise. Maybe it's for the better that I made 6 piles of tin/bronze coins instead of copper and silver...

Janne )`*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »

I don't think they know how to use channels for any of the water jobs.  Since the status of the water is...  fluid...  it's a bit harder to code for it efficiently.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 11:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I don't think they know how to use channels for any of the water jobs.  Since the status of the water is...  fluid...  it's a bit harder to code for it efficiently.</STRONG>

Is this the same reason you can't use a channel of lava for a lava forge?

MrDannimal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 11:12:00 pm »

It does seem like they figure out where the river has the shortest horizontal distance fom the cliff-face, and go there to fill a bucket instead of finding a path that is the shortest # of steps.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 05:21:00 pm »

Zereth, it's related.  A lot of the river-use code is more efficient because the rivers don't move.  Handling other situations might be more of a nightmare...  but a lot of jobs aren't that frequent, so I could slowly make them smarter.