Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice For A Greenhorn  (Read 697 times)

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
Advice For A Greenhorn
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:36:59 am »

So, I heard about Bay12 through TV Tropes. One of the main attractions, from what I gathered, where the forum games; especially RtD.

That reminded me of an old thread on Gamefaqs I used to read; it was a Super Paper Mario RTD that too much of my free time was pointed towards.

I've GMed games similar to RtD in the past, but never on this site.

I have a lot of writing experience in my life- same goes for RP experience and leadership experience.

I'd love to start a game of my own (I've got quite a few ideas floating around that compliment the format well.)

But there are 2 problems.

1.) I'm kind of new here, and I don't know if I have the authority to start my own forum game.
And
2.) I am impatient. Really. Really. Impatient. Not like "break your neck if you don't instantly respond" impatient, more like "tapping my foot" impatient. Any advice on how to set up a game that can be fast-paced?

I'd really love some advice from y'all. Thank you kindly.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice For A Greenhorn
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:41:40 am »

1 is not a problem. You seem to have put more thought into this than 90% of the games started here on any given day. There's no such thing as 'authority' when it comes to RTDs.

If you're going for a player-based game, 2 might be a bit frustrating to you, but I doubt it'll be much of a problem. On the other hand, a suggestion game with no set players would let you update more freely, as you can use whoever's commands to continue. If you wanna do an RTD, there's the minimalist genre - just look at some them in the subforum - if that's your thing. They usually have very few mechanics, lots of players, and little to no plot.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57:30 am »

Well, you could always run a game over IRC. You might have trouble a little trouble finding people, but that's normal for an IRC game.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »

Yeah, wouldn't suggest running a pure RTD if you're still impatient. Try out a minimalist or suggestion game. If you do want to try a pure RTD, try making making notes and working things out while the players are still posting. It'll give you something to do, and it'll give your RTD a less rushed feel. Not that having a rushed feel is bad for an RTD.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:11:23 pm »

You write well and look at your own abilities objectively. Intuition says you'll be fine as a GM.

Impatience is way better than laziness.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:38 pm »

The best skills for a GM is the ability to doubt your own actions, a respect/knowledge of players, and a knack of improvisation. Writing is also good.

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:28:10 pm »

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I'm really thankful.

I think I've got a fairly good grip on what I'm doing now, with your help.

Many thanks and may the odds be ever in your party favors.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »

If you need advice, there's a Roller's Block thread in the RTD subforum I think.

If you don't mind random sillyness you could try a minimalist, these tend to be very fast-paced (and have lots of players). Not sure if there's much interest in them left since I don't really go to the RTD subforum much anymore (except for playing Life Begins at Death, but i get notification emails for that)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:05:25 pm »

CW, I'd suggest making a game where:

1: Each player gets to do his own thing, meaning each player can jump in and start at any time or leave the game for a while, or
2: Each player gives suggestions for a central thing, meaning someone can pop in and suggest and leave.

Games where you need responses from everyone tend to end up waiting for certain people.

Secondly, try to make the game as simple as possible for you to process turns. You don't want to be avoiding processing turns just because it's a lot of work and you're not feeling it anymore.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic