Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Heroic Giant Sponge  (Read 1163 times)

tyrman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Heroic Giant Sponge
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:17:11 pm »

So I've played for a few years now, on and off.  I can get to a point where my forts can get fairly comfortable until they inevitably die from slowdown.  So I say, "tyrman, my lad, it's time to embark to an evil biome!"

Yeah.  Some kind of murky rain fell on my dorfs immediately, started melting them, and then... then the zombified ravens came.  Chillingly, they pecked out the eyes first

So I picked a new embark, 4x4.  Half of it was a savage woodland, the other a terrifying evil biome to the north.  I feverishly brought everything down a z-level once I spotted the horde of a dozen or so bloodthirsty owlman corpses.  My dorfs gripped their weapons grimly and I waited for... ...

Huh, where are those owlmen anyway?

Turns out they'd spotted a Giant Sponge.  And they hated it.  The whole horde just settled on it, beating the crap out of the giant sponge.  It took about a year for my fort to get almost walled off, unfortunately due to a pesky aquifer that took forever to slip through.  I was in the process of finishing the last bit (the roof) when undead keamen descended on my lone (priceless, doomed) woodcutter, killed him, and then took off with all of his clothing.  His body got hit with an evil cloud, zombified, and got in the fort.  Then it was the typical downward spiral from there,  culminating in almost all of the undead getting walled off in a side channel before someone's severed zombie head gnoshed my last dorf to death.

And, as he lay bleeding out on the ground, the giant sponge was still getting thrashed into unconsciousness by those owlmen.  Thank you, nameless Giant Sponge, for keeping me alive for a year.  You win MVP of the fortress Netstraps.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Heroic Giant Sponge
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:08:39 am »

4 of my original 7 dwarves became legendary wrestlers when my attempts to settle in and seal off the caverns were interrupted by a herd of Crawling Eyes.  They have no attacks whatsoever but dwarves nonetheless hate and fear them and fled when they came by.  Having no weapons, I ordered my militia to attack barehanded and a slow battle was fought for several weeks until my dwarves gained enough wrestling skills to tear their bodies apart.

Attacking large defenseless creatures with non-piercing weapons is a quick route to hilarity and massive skill gains.  I hope the undead don't gain skills while animated though, since otherwise those Owlmen would become vicious unstoppable killing machines.

Given that you died anyways however, that's not too much of a concern.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:10:40 am by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Pardus_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:44:25 am »

Attacking large defenseless creatures with non-piercing weapons is a quick route to hilarity and massive skill gains.  I hope the undead don't gain skills while animated though, since otherwise those Owlmen would become vicious unstoppable killing machines.

That would be terrifying if they could, could you imagine the mussel shells!?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 03:34:32 am »

I'm pretty sure husks can gain skill anyway.  That only applies to things that can gain skill in the first place of course, which doesn't include animals as far as I know.  Animalmen on the other hand...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:32:10 am »

(If anyone would share a comics about the Heroic Giant Sponge fighting a Badger Zombie, I would greatly appreciate!
The point was in the fact that sponge after being unconcious for a year waked up and pushed badger so hard his leg was sent flying.
Can't find it :( )
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.