Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject - Controlled Flood System (corrupt)  (Read 1174 times)

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject - Controlled Flood System (corrupt)
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »

Link

Have you, as Dwarven Overlord, ever wanted that extra measure of control over your populace? Ever found yourself less concerned over the impeding seige/megabeast attack, and more interested in centralising complete and total control over your fortress? Well, have I got the project for you! Though incomplete, this project shows great promise in securing your domination over your fortress' inhabitants by harnessing two of the most powerful forces in the DF world - water and magma.

This system is capable of routing huge volumes of high-pressure liquid to any room in the fort you choose, all controlled from a set of competently-labelled levers in the Control Room (hotkey F5). In the space of less than one minute, any dwarven workers (or invaders) that displease you will be flailing incompetently in 7/7 of whichever liquid you choose (magma under construction). Even better, the system will implement automatic bulkhead seals against flooding or escaping victims - a Pressure Plate linked to the bulkhead will ensure complete containment while the system is in use.

Also, we do not believe in wasting water! Water outflow (or magma, should you feel especially evil) can be recycled as a pleasing waterfall down the main staircase for the enjoyment of all citizens with a firm grip on the steps.

But what do you think? Is there anything that I could have done better, either for the CFS or the fort? Please let me know!

Screenshots coming as soon as I sort out Imageshack.
EDIT: Screenshots!

Spoiler: Control rooms (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Things I would've done were the save clean:
  • Section the outflow into individual pools, using pumps to ensure one-way travel - should be faster than letting it flow on it's own.
  • Drop a vertical shaft down to CFS Outflow, to power the pumps there without relying in the water-return pumpstack
  • Complete the magma primary reservoir and pumpstack.
  • Install bulkhead Pressure Plates throughout the entire fortress.
  • Design and create an "emergency reset" to be operated from the outside in case I have to flood everything and reclaim.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:54:13 am by Aaarrgh! »

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject - Controlled Flood System (corrupt)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:30:56 pm »

Use imgur, it's far more pleasant for everyone involved
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »

or photobucket!

EDIT: More relevant, this looks to be quite awesome!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:48:43 pm »

or photobucket!

EDIT: More relevant, this looks to be quite awesome!
As you can see, I've already set up screenshots :).