Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop or slow the flow of migrates  (Read 1265 times)

Eegxeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stop or slow the flow of migrates
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:41:44 pm »

I keep running into the same problem too many dwarves. The population is always growing too fast for me and I wind up scrambling to build more bedrooms, get more food and drinks and it just stops being fun. Is there anyway to stop migrates from coming or increase the time between each wave.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Stop or slow the flow of migrates
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:02:52 pm »

The first two waves are hardcoded, after that you can stop them from coming by setting your population limit before loading the game. If you are using one of the starter packs there's a menu option to do that.

If not, you have to go to /data/init, open d_init.txt and change [POPULATION_CAP:200] to whatever you want. This will take effect the next time the outpost liason leaves the map alive.

Eegxeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:13:29 pm »

Cool thanks.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:33 am »

Also don't stress about every dwarf getting their own bedroom - dorms are fine
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 03:46:06 am »

Also: it took years before I realized that if you just designate a room as a bedroom, a dwarf will come along and claim it without needing to be assigned it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:58:08 am »

If not, you have to go to /data/init, open d_init.txt and change [POPULATION_CAP:200] to whatever you want. This will take effect the next time the outpost liason leaves the map alive.
or next time you use
$fix/population-cap
in dfhack.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »

Setting population caps is a nice way to handle it, but there is a major limit - it will, of course, limit how big your fortress can EVER get.  If your problem is that the fortress is growing TOO FAST, but you still want the overall size to be able to get big eventually, setting the population cap will not be a real solution.
For such instances I find (b)uilding a series of brid(g)es connected to (T)rap (l)evers in your singular entrance works nicely.  You can close off the direct in/out route when a wave of undesired migrants arrives, and funnel them off into a separate room.  From there, you may freely examine their relationships and their skills, decide who to keep and who to, er, drown in your purpose-built flooding room before they're able to make friends with your already-integrated dwarves.  Also makes it easier to identify incoming migrant vampires.  You will often find an EXTREMELY skilled and talented addition to your population (often a vampire), and can send him to a more solitary location so he doesn't kill your best dwarves when they sleep.  You can also identify the vampires in the drowning room as they will not, uh, drown.
Takes a bit of planning and effort, but hey, this is Dwarf Fortress.  What doesn't?

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 05:57:43 pm »

I seal my fortress with moat. 8) 8) 8)
No trade. 8) 8) 8)
migrates are died outside of my moat.(killed by undead or goblin).
Edited: My population is remain 7 even few years.
Sorry for Grammar.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:59 am »

The pop cap will only stop migrants from coming in. It will not stop pregnancies. You can read some science about it

from: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101379.msg4340010#msg4340010
to: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101379.msg4342193#msg4342193
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:52 am »

Also on dwarven incest (or lack of it).
Just little FYI:
A while ago I had an idea of having a fortress of breeds of the starting 7.
In case when you can get at least 3 families in starting group (due to differencies of age of my dwarves, I had to cheat arround with marry script of dfhack with this), you can survive for 3 generations at least. I had a fort with 5 CHILD age limit, and 40 years MAXAGE; it ran sealed from surroundings for alot of time (17 years to be precise), with all of generations having their marriages, then I got bored with it and unsealed it, having a pitiful end for all of my dorfs in next titan visit.
Going to run for at least 80 years next time, without migrations and with militaries.
Peasantry & the chances of children catching moods were rather very high, which was an artifact-killing experience (10 * artifact mug, hell yeah).
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:26:16 am »

So, what ARE the rules on dwarven incest? A brief search on the wiki didn't provide answers.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:31 am »

If you want to deal with this without completely removing migration, modding, or using external tools you can just selectively cause unfortunate accidents on your less useful migrants. Deaths in the fort will make it less attractive to migrants. In addition, try to trade as little as you can, as exported wealth attracts all sorts of things, including migrants.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:06:39 am »

A brief search on the wiki didn't provide answers.
brother-sister incest = no
uncle-nephew incest = never seen (due to age?)
cousin-cousin incest = never seen (suppose that this should never happen)
In general, if you see the relationship of dwarf from his birth (Sister, Brother, Mother, Father, Aunt, Uncle, Cousin) marrying that relative would never happen.
The point was that you could survive for relatively long period of time with only starting seven if they will actually form >2 marriages.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76821.0 <- this thread states that cousin-cousin incest should happen, as well as aunt-nephew, however never seen that in current version.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:15:52 am by nekoexmachina »
It's mildly depressing.