Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The hardest embark. EVER.  (Read 4719 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: The hardest embark. EVER.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 03:32:42 pm »

There was one called seven days where the entire left side of the embark was a 40z spire of smr and magama. The right side of the map was cut off by a 20z river gorge. Seven days after enbarking the magma flowing from the left overruns the embark area pushing any surface items left over into the gorge.
It was just possible to get a decent set-up in that time but you were embarked as humans.

Also the mercury and pluto extreme tempereture embarks were quite hard.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 04:51:13 am »

There was one called seven days where the entire left side of the embark was a 40z spire of smr and magama. The right side of the map was cut off by a 20z river gorge. Seven days after enbarking the magma flowing from the left overruns the embark area pushing any surface items left over into the gorge.
It was just possible to get a decent set-up in that time but you were embarked as humans.

Also the mercury and pluto extreme tempereture embarks were quite hard.
I played that once.  It was FPS hell for a while with the constant caveins, but I managed to wall off (channeling wasn't enough) a small section of the surface to grow crops on and preserve a pond.  It turned out that this wasn't totally necessary as the lower-right corner of the map never actually got flooded.  I decided my new goal was that I should cap the volcano, but this was stymied by the fact that Humans can't build Mechanisms or Trap Components, and so I gave up.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 11:32:50 pm »

I stopped playing evil rain / evil clouds because the dust coverings can end up on items and infect a fort even if you dodge everything.

Here's some good ones I've done in vanilla DF:

Embark on a cave/lair with a titan made out of stone lurking inside.
Evil biome with zombie harpies immediately attacking you.
Evil biome with zombie elephants.
Embark-anywhere into a human site and they attack you immediately.
Embark-anywhere into a necromancer tower.
A mountain or glacier with no soil and no water, FORCING you to open the caverns.
River full of alligators.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:55 am »

Add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to elves and embark. Vanilla elves can't mine, smith or cut wood. So only way to get anything is plant gathering and trading.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:38 am »

My favorite "hard" embark is always fun, but certainly not the hardest (just one of the most fun!)

No weapons, shields, traps, siege weapons or sealed fortresses. You may also not abuse bridges to wall off. Ypu are allowed four pickaxes and four wooden training axes for wood/mining.

This leaves you training packs of war animals and using hand to hand combat squads.
Pages: 1 2 [3]