Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Presentation/Interface idea  (Read 1470 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Presentation/Interface idea
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:46 pm »

I apologize if this has been suggested before, but the keywords are just too common to search properly.

One of the upcoming features I read about was separating the font from the graphics tilesets, and that is a great idea.  I think Toady can go one step further and allow several fonts with very little additional effort.

The planned feature, as I understand it, would have something like text.png and graphics.png as two distinct tilesets.  Why not also allow for specific tilesets designated inside language files?  Then we could have a runic-looking Dwarf language tileset (font), a frilly Elf language tileset, a serif Human tileset and something ugly for the Goblin tileset (like Comic Sans).  Languages from mods can include their own fonts as desired, or pick one of the basic ones.  The vanilla version of the game just needs a single tileset to act as a fallback in case specific ones are missing.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Presentation/Interface idea
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:14:29 am »

I apologize if this has been suggested before, but the keywords are just too common to search properly.

One of the upcoming features I read about was separating the font from the graphics tilesets, and that is a great idea.  I think Toady can go one step further and allow several fonts with very little additional effort.

The planned feature, as I understand it, would have something like text.png and graphics.png as two distinct tilesets.  Why not also allow for specific tilesets designated inside language files?  Then we could have a runic-looking Dwarf language tileset (font), a frilly Elf language tileset, a serif Human tileset and something ugly for the Goblin tileset (like Comic Sans).  Languages from mods can include their own fonts as desired, or pick one of the basic ones.  The vanilla version of the game just needs a single tileset to act as a fallback in case specific ones are missing.

That sounds like a pretty neat idea...

+1

ROFLMAOmatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:34:06 pm »

I'd upvote this if it were on Reddit.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »

That does sound amazing. Would the tilesets be linked to the languages or to the entities?

Crimson Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:31:35 pm »

Wow I'm lovin this idea! Yes! Time to start looking for the best dwarfy font now. Hmmmm.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:12:30 am »

That does sound amazing. Would the tilesets be linked to the languages or to the entities?
My thought was to have it be part of the language to decrease duplication among the raws, but in principle it could vary by caste.  To attach fonts to entities, we would need a more robust system of grading tilesets by how they represent various Spheres.  Toady would need to introduce some sort of Tileset entity in the raws to track the Spheriness of each font.  That seems like a LOT of work for little incremental payoff over a font for each language.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:44 am »

Comic Sans would be like the Black Speech of Mordor, which strikes fear and agony to the hearts of all free people everywhere. Comic Sans Goblins will rule the world!

A good suggestion. This would also stop different symbols appearing in the text when they aren't meant to.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »

Kobolds get Comic Sans. Goblins get Papyrus.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:27 pm »

Kobolds: Comic Sans
Elves: Gabriola
Goblins/Megabeasts/"Deities": Impact. (Symbol for non-impostor escaped Clowns?)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:18 am »

Kobolds: Comic Sans
Elves: Gabriola
Goblins/Megabeasts/"Deities": Impact. (Symbol for non-impostor escaped Clowns?)
Those would fit well, though I wonder if text will still be monospace after it is separated from the graphics tileset.  By the way, I saw a nice collection of fonts called Dan Smith's Fantasy Fonts.  DS RUNEnglish looks Dwarven and DS Celtic looks like a good fit for Human.  The problem is that they are not licensed for commercial use, and there is no telling if Dan is a DF fan :(
Just got back, updating: