Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens to ammo used in practice?  (Read 751 times)

goldminer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What happens to ammo used in practice?
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:51:00 pm »

After building a barracks, I decided to create an archery target for my crossbow toting dwarves to use and practice their skills.

Thanks to the recent patch, I started pumping out bone bolts for them to use on the target.  My initial plans worked and I would see the marksmen go to the ammo pile when new bolts where delivered and fire them off into the target.

However, after they finished, there was no sign of the bolts.  There was a little graphic on the target that it had been 'used', but if I used 'q' or 't' there was no indication that the bolts existed anymore.  After a while a dwarf with the task 'clean blood' would come up to the target and clean away the little arrow graphic on it, but there was no sign of any bolts, on the target or in his inventory.

I was wondering if certain types of bolts (bone in this case) can break and be unusable after being fired.  Would I be able to reclaim my bolts if they were a different material, like a metal or wood?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: What happens to ammo used in practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

Right now, all bolts break unless they stick in a creature (partially to avoid a billion haul job and partially because stacks don't reconsolidate).  Bone bolts are good for practice.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:01:00 pm »

Even iron ones? That kinda sucks, I made some with the intention of safe practice and even made the targets wooden. :P

Oh well, hope my dwarves are smart enough to pick the bone bolts for practice. :S

goldminer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:04:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it is good that they are just using bone bolts and not my precious obsidian.