Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wolfenstein: The New Order  (Read 1392 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Wolfenstein: The New Order
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »

Okay, I'm a little bit thunderstruck that there's not a thread for this (at least not that I could locate). Anybody purchased it yet? Reviews seem to be pretty damn positive so far.

Just from perusing the trailers, I love what they did musically with a "German Motown" soundtrack, even if it doesn't quite make historical sense (African-American derived pop music in a racist Third Reich?).

Not sure how I feel about the experimental energy weapons and power armor and stuff later on in the game, I think I would have preferred it stick closer to realism. But then, this *is* a reboot of a franchise that culminated in Mecha-Hitler (see current avatar).....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:59:57 pm »

If you want any realism you should stand the hell away from it. The very first missian has:

1 - nazi jets (well they had those historically but still)
2 - Gant allied 6 engine bomber/troop transport aircraft
3 - Giant robot dogs.
4 - Normal sized cyborg dogs.
5 - Giant stompy tripod armed with a big sod off electro laser.

And that's just the first mission.
Anyway wolfenstein barely sticks to realism since Wolfenstein 3D had hitler in power armor as the final boss.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »

Realism isn't why you'd play Wolfenstein, but I haven't enjoyed a linear FPS this much for a LONG time.

The story is well written, the acting is pretty decent, the set pieces are exciting, and the gameplay really isn't bad at all. And the campaign is actually pretty long - there's hidden collectables to find that unlock art etc. and despite playing for around 15 hours so far, I've missed a few. I *think* I'm at the final level now, but it's not a bad length!

Yes, it's linear. Annoyingly so. But most FPS games are these days, but this is as fine a single-player FPS as you'll play this year.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »

Anyway wolfenstein barely sticks to realism since Wolfenstein 3D had hitler in power armor as the final boss.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:01:46 am »

I like it a lot even though it's at the very limit of what my computer can playable run and enemies occasionally flicker in and out of existence and the sound channels seem messed up (maybe that's my headphones?)  I can't hear the music and everything else is kind of muted and hollow.  When a bunker floor collapses and sends your squad into the abyss, it sounds like someone went "whoa!" in mild surprise as pebbles rolled down a hill.

I like what they did with it overall.  It's got the fancy next gen presentation but an older style design, with non-regenerating health and armor refilled by pickups just like the old days.  but it also has very abundant pickups and the infinite checkpoint system of modern games, so it's not totally old school.  I haven't cheered at the sight of a canteen like I used to do in medal of honor.

And personally I like the silly future shit.  Realistic nazis have been done to death, and I wish I could hear this German mo-town because I've got World War 2 Orchestral Score #437 stuck in my head.

It also has up and down "leaning" allowing you to crane downward or stand on your tiptoes which is the kind of thing that retroactively makes you aware of how you suffered without it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:14:45 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:16:47 am »

I'm a little puzzled at the buzz this game has generated (beyond the usual big name IP release.) I played the last two Wolfenstein games and while they were ok to even good, they were still pretty basic. Nazis. The occult. Man shooting. The last game introduced occult powers and a sort of sandbox environment, which was fun. But when I heard this was coming out, I kinda realized my yen for Wolfenstein was pretty much gone. Is this one doing something I should sit up and take notice of?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:53:04 am »

Mainly since it was a big release and the games tend to be damn good shooters for the time they were released in. RTCW to me is also still as far as I care the worthwhile game that ever got developed on IDtech 3. Plus it's WWII themed to an extent, everything old is new again.

Personally very torn if this or Rott2013 is the best new FPS I've played in some time for several reasons. The really granular and awesome lean modifier/button is also everything armas stance modifier button wanted to be and never, ever will be.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:30:18 am »

So I'm not sure if the game is any good or not, but holy fuck the soundtrack is pretty damn awesome :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG