Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More customization in procedural generation  (Read 1259 times)

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
More customization in procedural generation
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:25 pm »

My suggestion is to allow edit-able tags for procedurally generated creatures, or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think things such as forgotten beasts, titans, demons, etc. should be able to have their tags able to be changed. I've found that breaking the tags after generating an uncompressed world every time (and only sometimes working) can be loathe-some. I think there should be some way to edit them, whether that be editing the default tags they spawn with naturally in-game or somehow making their generation not hard-coded (which would also allow their tags to be edited).

As customize-able as this game is, I don't think it would hurt to implement this. I've seen this subject a moderate amount of times when I've searched for the subject (and ways to more easily edit the tags). The purpose of editing their default tags would be to turn off or remove certain abilities that they always spawn with. People would mostly use this implementation for disabling their [TRAPAVOID], building destroyer, or [NOSTUN] tags. However, just because most people would alter those tags does not mean they are the only application for this. Other uses could be modifying their compositions and special attacks (for more or toned down fun), or other things that a user would want to change about a forgotten beast (this could also add many more possibilities for modding).

I searched for about an hour looking for a similar thread, but alas, nothing as well as, what I believe to be, reasoned out.
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More customization in procedural generation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:36:52 am »

Pfft, 'clowns' and other procedurally generated creatures are SUPPOSED to be difficult to fight against, thus the trapavoid and other tags.

Because of their random nature, these don't have raws, and so can't be edited directly. You'd need DFhack or something in order to do that at this time.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:17 am »

Pfft, 'clowns' and other procedurally generated creatures are SUPPOSED to be difficult to fight against, thus the trapavoid and other tags.

Because of their random nature, these don't have raws, and so can't be edited directly. You'd need DFhack or something in order to do that at this time.

That's why I've suggested this, so it doesn't HAVE to be so difficult. If there's truly a dfhack for this then I would love to see it.
I know they're supposed to be difficult, but the reasoning behind why I'm suggesting this isn't just because of what you can disable to make them less difficult. It's more generally about the possibilities of what other things that can be done. If we can make cats like gods, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to be able to change the default tags for clowns. ;P

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:23:44 am »

Pfft, 'clowns' and other procedurally generated creatures are SUPPOSED to be difficult to fight against

Forgotten Beast Azu has come! A towering blob composed of vomit! Beware its annoying job cancellation spam!

Miner strikes forgotten beast with his copper pick to the head bruising the brain!

I see this as a way to make sure that procedurally generated things would always be difficult to fight against.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:56 am »

Nah, I like the randomness. Even if you get vomit blobs with a stinger, you have to be prepared for variscite blobs with deadly dust.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:44:13 pm »

I believe the difficulty of the beasts does not justify the reasoning for not implementing this. One can simply disable invasions in the init files, plus it's not about making them easier. The default tags they spawn with now would not change if this were implemented, it would just make them visible and change-able.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »

I think even if the developers can't easily make it happen through something like a text file in the raws (by instead of having it hard coded, they make them generate in a similar way as all the other creatures with characteristics), they can make it so you can edit their "raws" in-game, perhaps through a new choice on the main-menu screen or something similar.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19:02 pm »

I spent a bit of time thinking of where they could put a place in the actual game where the clown tags would be, and it could be put it somewhere in the "Design New World with Advanced Perimeters" menu choices, or perhaps where you go to edit the world types.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:12 pm »

I was thinking perhaps where you can edit the number of titans and forgotten beasts and demon types, etc.

Also I'm really lonely in this thread, doesn't anyone wanna share an opinion on this suggestion? Like perhaps an argument to the people who think the whole purpose of my suggestion is to make forgotten beasts and demons easier (because, you know, you can disable invaders and just not dig to HFS if you really don't wanna put up with them)