Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possibly stupid question, but how do you remove campfires?  (Read 12113 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Possibly stupid question, but how do you remove campfires?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01:25 am »

If you wait long enough they will go away but its a long time.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:01 pm »

I found a way to douse campfires.

Well, actually it found me. I was traveling across the nefarious Frost of Belches, and swinging my mighty hammer, crushing the undead horde impeding my progress. I developed a mighty thirst, and having smashed the weasel skeletons to the ground for a while, I thought I'd heat up some water.

The campfire I made promptly plunged into the ice, melting the ice around it and under me. This would not have been a problem, if the campfire hadn't been extinguished as it fell into the glacier, leaving me floundering in the water in a freezing climate. The result was all too predictable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: upon further consideration and experiments in other biomes it seems more likely that the campfire melted enough water from the surroundings to leave me in it than that it itself fell into the ice, although that's how it originally seemed. Campfires don't seem to fall into frozen rivers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:29:47 pm by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 12:20:24 pm »

Can you pour water on a camp fire? Or throw water/ice at a camp fire?

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »

For some reason in my previous world(which was 34.01), the campfire I placed in a Lair's entrance never ran out; even after fast travelling and after days of sleeping. I couldn't finish off the quest to kill the creature of the night because of the campfire roadblocking me. In my recent world however, I surrounded myself with campfires whilst having a river near me to prevent fast travel(to test out version 34.04). After sleeping a whole day, it all turned into ash.

So maybe it got fixed?
My post ends here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »

Can you pour water on a camp fire? Or throw water/ice at a camp fire?

Would do nothing

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »

I'm fairly certain if you just wait with the . key, they'll burn out eventually.

if by "eventually" you mean when the circus freezes over sure.

you cant put them out at the moment, at all, and if you trap yourself with them your pretty much screwed if you cant fast travel your way out of it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:02:33 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Supersnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Woodcrafter Competant Leatherworker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 12:08:43 am »

Sadly they wont burn out if you are in doors  :(.
Personally, I like it because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
If murdering parents in front of their kids in the most gruesome manner possible is too much for you, you have not played Dwarf Fortress
You should be drowning babies by now, human.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 01:01:49 am »

Simple, time travel to before you lit the campfires - CTRL-ALT-DELETE, and end process on Dwarf Fortress.exe, then launch it again.  Just like magic, your adventurer wakes up to realize everything in your last play session was all just a notorious soap opera retcon technique.

Alternately, save, and wait until Toady adds mining to the list of Adventurer Mode skills.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »

"Tough luck" Wha? i just killed a bunch of stuff and I didnt even get to go tell people! Now my character is doomed to certain death because of stupid infinite fire? What the smeg is that? People are treating this like its obvious or something like OH yeah I should have known keeping out nonsense instantkill bandit hordes with fire would result in this its pretty obvious when you are clairvoyant about it! Trapping yourself in with fire at night is actually a logical thing to do in this world but I guess that's my first good character dead because of a glitch. Whoopty doo.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 12:52:22 pm »

Oh goodness...  I remember when this thread was started...  Guys, Im old  :'(
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 07:17:02 pm »

Well, now with DFHack you can spawn yourself a pickaxe and dig your way around the campfire with adv-fort.

Or use the liquids command to surround the fire with deep water to put it out.
Pages: 1 [2]