Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Setting a maximum for immigrants' skill levels  (Read 2024 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Setting a maximum for immigrants' skill levels
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:09 pm »

If I am not wrong it goes by order in the raws. If you set skill rate to 0, but underneath it declare skill learn rate mining 100, you can only learn mining, all the rest is still 0.
I think I might have been misreading the 300% bonus. My first thought on seeing that would be 300% skill gain, not 300% on top of the default 100%.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »

I read some code disassembly to figure out how immigrant skills work:

- Historical figure migrants may start with a profession and skills at creation/maturity, but they gain skills over time as they move from place to place, and can change profession. This can be seen in legends mode when they change jobs after moving to a new town. Rapid town changes may lead to absurd skillsets. Prior to the [SET_LABOR_LISTS] token in d_init.txt, this would also cause the migrants to arrive with inappropriate labors enabled (labors used to be based only on the initial profession).

- Migrants that are created from nothing, excluding the initial 7 dwarves, first have a profession semi-randomly chosen from a shortlist. The game then gives them the skills needed for that profession, plus other purely random skills (while ensuring the profession doesn't change!).

Most games nowadays have lots of historical migrants and few/none of the nonhistorical migrants. IF the historical figure has never been "on screen" before, they only have a simplified skill list in "historical_figure_info.skills" which could be edited* with a DFHack script prior to (potential) migrant arrival. However, this list is not used for units such as adventurers or residents from a previous fort.

* I haven't tested this. Side effects unknown.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 12:37:12 am »

You know guys, you can just gen younger worlds, there's no need to go altering core gameplay. I genned a 100 year world (with 333 secret types, thats about as young as you can go and still be reasonably certain a Tower will show up) and everybody came to the fort Adequate, except for the one "first of his kind" vampire who was a Great Suturer. It actually got annoying to me, just because of how quickly they all turned to planters, so now I'm fiddling with the 100-200 range to see whereabouts I can find Professionals. 200 is too high, i think, at 200 I seem to recall it was all Great again.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 11:39:27 pm »

If I set [SKILL_RATES:0:0:0:0] on dwarves, generate a world, remove the token, and then embark:

- Dwarves at my fortress can learn as normal.
- Most migrants are historical skillless peasants or children. Perfect for assigning into whatever professions I want.
- Some migrants (~30%?) are randomly skilled non-historical dwarves with biased professions (mostly farming/fishing types).

I only looked at the first two migrant waves.
Pages: 1 [2]