Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Axedwarf takes Upper Spine injury, sits in webs for a week  (Read 1044 times)

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Axedwarf takes Upper Spine injury, sits in webs for a week
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:06 am »

So Utheg Bomrekaztong, a huge hairy pterosaur has come! It has an enormous shell and it undulates rhythmically.  Its tan hair is long and shaggy.  Beware its webs!

This worried me slightly, as my fortress is in a human fort (walls and everything), embarked using embark anywhere.  So it could just fly over the walls.  I sent my two military dwarves to fight it: an axedwarf and a marksdwarf.  The axedwarf Thikut Umstiziton Onolonul Tilesh ran in, and promptly got entangled in the webs and his upper spine nervous tissue damaged.  This was on Malachite 22nd.
The marksdwarf Zasit Sarveshtorish shot it a little bit, but it didn't want to stop webbing its prey.  All that week, even after Zasit ran out of bolts and beat it with his hammer until he was proficient, Utheg shot out thick strands of webbing.  Eventually, Zasit went and took a nap, got a few more bolts, and came back.  During this time (1st Galena) Utheg opened an artery in Thikut's head.

Utheg had taken to the air for a bit (no idea why).  But Zasit broke both of his wings, so he got stuck in the air for a while.  Oddly, so did some of his webs.  After a while, Zasit decided to go to archery practice, and Utheg was busy spewing out webs 1 z level in the air.  He wouldn't stop until I deconstructed the archery target.

Eventually Zasit wandered too close, and Utheg got his in his webs.  So I decided to build a platform on which I could build a catapult and shoot Utheg out of the air.  Meanwhile, it's 16th Galena and Thikut still hasn't called it quits despite his health screen saying "heavy bleeding" and "cannot breathe" and his thoughts screen saying "His head is torn open.  His head is gouting Thikut Sizzlehall the Mountainous Mirror of Trusses's dwarf blood.  His head is bruised.  His upper spine is broken."

Then, on 16th Galena, a human caravan showed up.  And the undead, including 3 necromancers.  And some goblins.  The undead finished off Thikut and Zasit, so we'll probably never know what was happening there.

Do forgotten beasts heal, or can I just leave him up there forever?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:08:31 am by Spitemaster »

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Axedwarf takes Upper Spine injury, sits in webs for a week
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:29 am »

They heal, they have a recuperation start like everybody else. Takes a long time without medicine, but it gets better eventually.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:45 pm »

The guy was vampire.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:30 pm »

The undead wouldn't finish off a vampire. Are you sure the zombies got to him?

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:09:10 pm »

This topic looks just like a front page newspaper headline!!!

I can imagine a small column off to the side which reads: "Urist McBrewer finds new way to brew Plum Helmates, critics find it delicious!  see pg. 2C"

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:52:16 am »

Yeah, it was definitely the undead.  And I did check a number of times - he was definitely bleeding out.  I'm going to reload the save and see if it isn't the webs keeping him alive (See if I can't kill the pterosaur faster)

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:00:56 pm »

Okay, I've played around with it a bit.  The awedwarf dies soon after the pterosaur does, from suffocation.  It seems that the constant application of webs is actually very good for the lungs!