Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sniper Marksdwarfs(spoilers)  (Read 997 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sniper Marksdwarfs(spoilers)
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:29 pm »

I'm not sure how or why but I have some super skilled marksdwarfs. I dug down into Hell and built a staircase to the floor. One level up from the cavern floor is a small barracks with fortifications. The room is small, 2x8. I have 2 squads of 7 soldiers each set to train here. They are my lookout and shoot down anything that approaches the stairs up to the surface. Most of them are legendary marksdwarf skill and also trained with danger rooms for survivability if things get too close.

Ok, here is the interesting part. I was beginning to scout the top of hell looking for adamantine veins from beneath and my scouts discovered a group of Leech Monsters in the distance. I assumed it would be far out of range of my marksdwarfs. I gave both squads a kill order on them. Instead of closing the distance, they started to fire from their barracks. They have a clear line of sight, but it was really far away. I started counting tiles. about 55 on the Y axis and 66 on the X axis. I did some math and they are hitting and killing the demon 86 tiles away and UP one Z level, not down. I noticed not all of them are firing, I need to check if only the ones that are legendary crossbow skills are the ones shooting so far.

They definitely do not shoot automatically, but will when they have a manual kill order.

The wiki says the max range of a crossbow is 20. More Science is needed!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sniper Marksdwarfs(spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »

Yeah, wow, I thought the max range was 20 as well. I've seen them sniping creeping eyes across a drained pool which itself is bigger than 20 tiles, and hitting the creeping eyes on the opposite ledge.

Or rather, I thought 20 was the max range for non-eliete marksdwarves?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »

I just tried giving a kill order on a surface target. The ran towards it and started firing when they were 66 tiles away on the Y-axis and nearly centered on the X axis. Some of them ran a little bit closer before they started shooting. Its hard to say, but my hypothesis is those guys shooting from closer had less marksdwarf skill than the ones shooting from 66 tiles.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:17:10 pm »

well as i understand it, at 20 tiles (or so) they will stop whatever they're doing and fire, however if you give them a kill order they will fire quite a large distance as long as they have LOS.  Is max range related to skill at all? I dont think it is...
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »

I believe it's some pathing\AI bug. When you order wildlife to be killed they tend to shoot at ANY wild animal on the map regardless of distance. I believe it also happens with non-historical zombies brought by necros.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science