Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iubes - a god game / RTS... not a friction reduction unguent!  (Read 1289 times)

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
Iubes - a god game / RTS... not a friction reduction unguent!
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »

Pronounced "yubes," I think.

The Rock Paper Shotgun article that made me aware of this game.  RPS's shorthand of "Darwinian Minecraft" seems apt, from the screenshots.  (I haven't played it yet, as schoolwork comes first)  I'm hoping to make time for it today.

The main website for IubesDirect link to trailer and screenshots.  The installer is small, 32 MB, and offline play is free.  Online play will cost you US$15  /€11.25 / £9.75 for the moment.

Any thoughts, fellow dorfs?
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Iubes - a god game / RTS... not a friction reduction unguent!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »

Looks neat, was thinking about posting on it earlier. Might give it a whirl...sometime. I was kind of tickled that they refer to it as "shareware." Took me back, to when sharing wasn't something that would have you executed on sight by our Techno-Entertainment Overlords.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

The spherical map concept seems interesting in terms of strategic gameplay... but i'd need to see more explanations as to what's it going to incorporate in the future before i buy it   

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »

At quick glance I thought this has something to do with Darwin.

RPS article is short, but what information it has - looks like this game is weird. In a super good way.
I'll definitely check it out in the coming days.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:08:59 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »

Seems pretty straightforward. Build structures, iubes manage things themselves for the most part, and you go after the opposing iubes. I'm guessing it's a better game in MP than SP, which is why they're letting people do the SP for free.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »

The spherical map concept seems interesting in terms of strategic gameplay... but i'd need to see more explanations as to what's it going to incorporate in the future before i buy it   

Why not look for more information at the website or play it then if you need information? It's free...I am gonna play it when I get home from work tonight

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 02:58:31 pm »

At quick glance I thought this has something to do with Darwin.

It would be a little more accurate to call it Darwinia-n, to better invoke the Introversion title, but the hyphen looks really clumsy.  ;)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:14 pm »

As it is, its simple, at least against Training or Easy AIs (theres harder ones, I haven't fought them yet though). You have Clay, Trees, and Stone Pit. (Also Forge, but that is only used for the armory right now, and the armory is for warrior/destroyer bonus armor). Clay is infinite, Wood is finite unless you have enough time to let it grow back, and stone is somewhat limited by bandwidth on your pits and not having any at all until your first one is done. The population limit seems to be 200 afaik, with a 50 ghost limit in addition to that.

Warriors and Destroyers will wander off immediately once they've been lightningstruck and used the food cost. You can only build on one kind of land, which means that really the only finite resources are usable land inside the sphere and alive iubes. Its not particularly easy to fall behind in anything on easy or lower, but it seems like its less a game of resources and more of planning and positions.
For example, you could build the big stone tower outpost in the center of the enemies main area if your iubes can survive long enough to complete it and man it. (though considering how many blocks it takes and its mainly stone you have to bring from a pit, thats not very likely) But if it completes, they'll be able to attack the enemy until either theres no enemes left nearby or some destroyers kill it, and if it gets burned down you'll have denied the enemy land.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:55 pm »

After having a go at this... It's okay, but not a lot of meat on the bone quite yet.  If I was more inclined towards the PvP angle, it might be better.  Not being able to build on minor slopes is annoying, but not crippling.  Getting good snowball momentum is straightforward, as there's not a lot of variables.  I'm not sure of the value of the ghost mechanic; yeah, they come back, but it's not clear that they do much of anything beyond ineffectively lemming rush at the enemy.

Anyone having trouble running this?  (or running it well?)  The heat in my box shot through the roof when playing...  I'm not sure if it's poorly optimized, or carrying a heavier load because of the O'Neill cylinder-ish map design, or whether my desktop is officially a piece of shit now.  :(  (it could easily be all three)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »

My Intel graphics laptop ran it perfectly fine fighting the normal AI on medium graphics. But theres not enough there for me to want to fight the hard one yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.