Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam Marines - Gaben Defense Force  (Read 882 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam Marines - Gaben Defense Force
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:47:42 pm »

During the winter Steam sale, I apparently bought a roguelikeish game by the name of 'Steam Marines' during an eggnog induced frenzy. Having now (finally) tried it, I've gotta say, I'm loving it. It's a top-down turn-based tactical squad roguelike thingy, quite similar to the old board game 'Space Hulk', if you're familiar with it. The game's in early access apparently, but seems rock solid in terms of content thus far, playing like a finished game.

The gist of it is that you control four sniveling maggots on a journey of self discovery and death through a spaceship, collecting gear/items and leveling up as you progress through various procedural levels in the ship's sectors. I haven't played enough yet to get an idea of the late game, but it seems pretty nifty so far having beaten the first boss. There are a variety of ranged and melee enemies (more as you progress), five different classes of marines, and various items and equipment that can be picked up. It's got a lot of tense moments, and it's easy to lose marines without caution (the enemies certainly have teeth). The classes synergize well, and while the aiming/accuracy mechanic is a bit counterintuitive, it opens up tons of cool combinations using the different classes and weapons.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Developer blurb (click to show/hide)
Steam page

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Marines - Gaben Defense Force
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »

During the winter Steam sale, I apparently bought a roguelikeish game by the name of 'Steam Marines' during an eggnog induced frenzy. ...

Are you on the eggnog again?  Son, I am disappoint.  I thought you got over that stuff, after last time, when you woke up famous on the internet for all the wrong reasons...  *sobbing*

Seriously though, seems interesting.  I may give it a whirl someti-*THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TERMINATED PREMATURELY BY THE BACKLOG REGULATION TASK FORCE*
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Marines - Gaben Defense Force
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:28:18 pm »

I too grabbed this in the steam winter sale with funds secured by selling those shitty trading card things, its pretty fun and I'd love to see it fully developed.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter