Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: wombats, the meatiest of animals?  (Read 6302 times)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Re: wombats, the meatiest of animals?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:46 am »

When looking at the meatiest of the beast, probably giant invertebrates are the most impressive. Giant snails were already mentioned in the thread. It kind of makes sense as when looking at insect farming in real life, it's something like 500% more effective than more traditional animals raised for slaughter.

There are pros to living in savage areas!
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »

When looking at the meatiest of the beast, probably giant invertebrates are the most impressive. Giant snails were already mentioned in the thread. It kind of makes sense as when looking at insect farming in real life, it's something like 500% more effective than more traditional animals raised for slaughter.

There are pros to living in savage areas!
Well, giant bugs also have extremely short lifespans (1-2 years, except for giant snails which don't breed without modding), so they are really more for "catch and cook" than for breeding programs...

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »

There is a crash test type which is just like a weightlifting bar on sticks, to simulate moose collisions, naturally this is a hard test to pass.

As for wombats, as cute as they are, they survive in Australia, which is where evil wizards test their new creations, if it survives there, it is ready to use on your foes.

Australian badassitude is overrated.  A little bit of cold and they go running towards shelter.  They can't even handle 40 degree Fahrenheit temps (about 5-10 Celsius).

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 11:09:59 pm »

Do moose crack the differential in your car? Are their skulls harder than steel? Also, moose don't wander off after a hit to the head. Wombats are known to knock down houses, one stump at a time...

Wombats aren't the armoured vehicle of the animal world, more there's nothing but armour, they're pure meatshield beasts. There's just more meat in a much smaller volume.

(edited: Grammar.)

I remember reading an old article somewhere about a bull moose that was hit by a steam-engine up in Alaska, (It wasn't pulling any cars, just transferring to another station.) the engine got wrecked and had to be sold for scrap but the moose apparently lived well enough to stumble a mile away before bleeding out in the snow.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 12:10:34 am »

There is a crash test type which is just like a weightlifting bar on sticks, to simulate moose collisions, naturally this is a hard test to pass.

As for wombats, as cute as they are, they survive in Australia, which is where evil wizards test their new creations, if it survives there, it is ready to use on your foes.

Australian badassitude is overrated.  A little bit of cold and they go running towards shelter.  They can't even handle 40 degree Fahrenheit temps (about 5-10 Celsius).

isn't pretty much everything in that giant floating badland either poisonous or strong enough to take you the hell out with a kick or tackle?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:34 am »

A weakness to cold is just the rest of the world trying to make sure nothing too dangerous escapes, it's like monster island but all the monsters are little and cute... well, except for the bastardhuge spiders, which are still often cute in their own way.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 11:04:17 am »

The size of a spider is inversely proportional to its creepiness. Seriously, spiders small enough to get anywhere they want to creep me out way more than those that you can actually see easily.

Also, I think I'm going to start up a war wombat industry. I'll keep like 7 or so males in a separate area (together with a few females in case my entire army gets killed), and butcher the rest of the males the moment they reach adulthood.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:06:13 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]