Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heya, Problems with a well?  (Read 566 times)

UBCS Recruit Muffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heya, Problems with a well?
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:57 pm »

So I set up a pit/pond area, and set it to be a pond. However, even with a well at the top, I can't seem to get it to work? Any ideas?

As a side note, I kind of want to build some sort of enemy sacrificial chamber, how would I do this?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Heya, Problems with a well?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:42:53 pm »

So I set up a pit/pond area, and set it to be a pond. However, even with a well at the top, I can't seem to get it to work? Any ideas?
You're better off getting sourced water, or leaving the well out entirely. Whenever a bucket is dipped into water, one unit of water is taken away. Dwarves can drink directly from water at foot level without lowering the water level.

Did you set the pond to be 'Not Full'? It won't get filled up otherwise.

Alternatively, you may have water, but be confusing the 'pond' and 'water source' zones (ponds are to be filled with water, water sources already have water). In that case you should q over the well and see if it's dry. If it is, then there may be something blocking the path between well and water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

UBCS Recruit Muffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:38:12 pm »

You're better off getting sourced water, or leaving the well out entirely. Whenever a bucket is dipped into water, one unit of water is taken away. Dwarves can drink directly from water at foot level without lowering the water level.

Did you set the pond to be 'Not Full'? It won't get filled up otherwise.

Alternatively, you may have water, but be confusing the 'pond' and 'water source' zones (ponds are to be filled with water, water sources already have water). In that case you should q over the well and see if it's dry. If it is, then there may be something blocking the path between well and water.

Hm... There are stairs down to the well area, is that what's causing it to not be filled? Also, I have a river, so lowering the stagnant pool water levels shouldnt be a problem. On another note, I NEED this well because I've just won my first siege, and several of my dwarves were injured. They need water to clean their wounds, and without a well, I can't do that

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

Stairs can interfere with pond zones, yes. If you examine the pond zone, how many of its tiles read as 'pit/pond'?

Since you have a river, I'd recommend rerouting that (stagnant water is bad for wounds, though possibly better than no washing at all). The easiest way of doing that is to dig a plumbing tunnel between the river and your fortress, although this does leave

To keep the well water clean and not 'laced with mud', you need it to be 2 levels deep.

That's a really simple version. On the level below, there's a fortification allowing water to pass, and the row of tiles running beneath the two wells was channelled out to provide a layer of nothing but water and Open Space.

If I needed it more secure, I'd put a wall up, put floors and one grate over the former well area, and use a screw pump to move water to the new well area.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.