Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I upgrade to a gtx 780ti?  (Read 614 times)

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
Should I upgrade to a gtx 780ti?
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »

I have a 660ti right now.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Should I upgrade to a gtx 780ti?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:22 pm »

I have a 660ti right now.

You're not giving anyone nearly enough information to say whether or not you should upgrade. The 660ti is not a bad card at all for today's average gaming requirements.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:12 pm »

My current PC has a i7-3970@4GHz 8 gigs of DDR3 ram and a 1000 watt PSU. I was planning on using the old GPU for my old desktop that I was planning on selling.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:11 am »

You didn't mention the harddrive. If you don't have an SSD for your OS and select programs/games that may be a better usage of money than a GPU upgrade.

But if you have money to burn and want the best of the best graphics upgrading to a GTX 780Ti sure wouldn't hurt. That CPU is still beastly and for gaming 8GB ram is more than enough so I doubt either need an upgrade. From what I know, the only upgrade worth making with the CPU would be a high-end Haswell, and that'd require a whole new motherboard for very little gain.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:19:14 am by MorleyDev »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:22:32 am »

What resolution monitor do you normally use? 1920x1080? It looks like that change in graphics card represents a jump from 30 to 60 FPS (pretty nice) at that resolution for the most graphics-intensive games right now, assuming you turn your graphics all the way up. The 780 ti will also allow you to play games at 4k resolution, assuming you have an (expensive) 4k monitor.

If you're charging about the sum price of the parts, you should be able to sell your old card for ~$200, possibly less. The 780 ti being $700, that's about a $500 cost to trade up.

So: Playing very graphics-intensive games (EG Battlefield 4) is it worth $500 to you to for the ability to get an extremely smooth framerate at max graphics settings in 1080p? Do you want to run 4k resolution? Do you just like knowing you have the best graphics card on the market?

Oh, and if your monitor is lower than 1920x1080 and you don't plan on upgrading, don't bother. Same if you mostly play older games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:56:46 am »

I have a 470, and I would upgrade to a 780ti in a heartbeat.

If I had a 660, probably not.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.