Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quantum...teleporter?  (Read 1359 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
quantum...teleporter?
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »

I was making a hallway of bedrooms.  3x4 bedrooms.
As I was manipulating dining hall designations and made a mistake, I needed to build walls just inside the doors of the 5 bedrooms per hallway.

When I deconstructed all the walls, ALL the blocks wound up in ONE TILE.
That is, the blocks got teleported...and I think some xclothingx got teleported as well.

Similar behavior has been observed during other deconstruction efforts.

The utility of this teleportation technique is questionable compared to minecarts...
But it is a safe method, for those who do NOT wish to have dwarf blood smeared all over their minecart tracks. Just imagine the power of being able to move your entire quantum dump stockpile to a new place?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Re: quantum...teleporter?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:39:19 pm »

This and other exploits are already accounted for on the exploit page of the wiki:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Exploit

Personally, I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't read about it on the wiki.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:55:14 pm »

I found this one the hard way, it confused the snot out of me :P
Never really researched it any more, it wasn't something i needed.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »

Oh. It's called the "vacuum cleaner". 'splains why I didn't remember it.  Wiki modified to say "dwarven vaccum cleaner/quantum teleporter".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:02:01 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 05:23:58 am »

This binary patch fixes this and other bugs.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:38:32 pm »

This patch is 100% necessary for any megaprojects that require scaffolding. Because when you designate a construction to be removed nearby stairs/ramps, sometimes you'll have a vacuum cleaner deposit all those blocks on top of the stairs/ramps, then they promptly fall down, causing heads to be smashed open and dorfs to dodge off the scaffolding.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »

I would recommend against using that particular patched version, since it includes a "questionable" patch which results in a buggy side effect (most notably, it causes tame vermin to instantly escape from their cages, resulting in a flood of announcements whenever Elven caravans arrive).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »

This patch is 100% necessary for any megaprojects that require scaffolding. Because when you designate a construction to be removed nearby stairs/ramps, sometimes you'll have a vacuum cleaner deposit all those blocks on top of the stairs/ramps, then they promptly fall down, causing heads to be smashed open and dorfs to dodge off the scaffolding.

Do teleported items really fall down stairs? According to my experience, it's completely impossible with ramps, because dwarfs can only stand at the bottom of a ramp, which is treated as solid floor, and deconstruction-teleportation dumps everything on the tile the dwarf stands on; there's no down direction for stuff to fall to from the bottom of a ramp.

I regularly deconstruct scaffolding in the unpatched version and haven't had a wounded dwarf in ages. The only risky cases are when not overseeing the beards properly, so they start deconstructing stuff from under their own or each other's feet, or when messing up deconstruct patterns so that unplanned cave-ins happen. All these cases are completely unrelated to deconstruct teleportation.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:45:54 pm »

I would recommend against using that particular patched version, since it includes a "questionable" patch which results in a buggy side effect (most notably, it causes tame vermin to instantly escape from their cages, resulting in a flood of announcements whenever Elven caravans arrive).

Oh, that's why I constantly get bats and hamsters escaping from the elves whenever they pop up! DFHack uses that patch!

... Eh. Just means fewer tame vermin to deal with.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 06:32:41 pm »

Oh, that's why I constantly get bats and hamsters escaping from the elves whenever they pop up! DFHack uses that patch!

... Eh. Just means fewer tame vermin to deal with.
I was just thinking the same thing...

I'd rather have Elves with less tame vermin (they don't all escape) and no teleport bug.  Ever accidentally teleport a quantum stockpile of ores, flux, and metal bars?  I have...
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.