Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions on minecarts and tracks  (Read 832 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions on minecarts and tracks
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:42:56 pm »

Is it possible to use a lever in a way that makes a track stop say go/no-go to keep dwarves from pushing/guiding/riding the minecart even though the orders would say otherwise? I'm making a bit of a testing facility and I don't want to have to monitor it and make changes on the fly so that I can start and stop a test when I want to. I'm testing out a minecart railgun and I don't want to accidentially shrapnel my dwarves between setting up for another run and have them push the minecart when it's not ready.

Any good threads or tutorials on working with minecarts, rollers, etc? I know this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129453.0 is a good one, but are there others?

Also, any good tutorials on making minecart railguns? Preferrably ones that I can trigger with the lever rather than mess with the orders.

Edit: How do I make a minecart throw it's contents through a fortification? My carpenter was lucky that the contents didn't fly out when I had apparently set the rollers the wrong way.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:48:22 pm by smjjames »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions on minecarts and tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:08 pm »

Well, a fairly common method is to have the minecart forbidden once it's placed. After that, you can then control the carts in a variety of ways. As for movement, you have a choice of rollers, ramps, and impulse ramps depending upon how exploity you're willing to be. And it's easy to arrange for a launch/catch of minecarts. Think "dead end" of a track segment with a hatch cover. When the hatch is closed, the minecart just sits there. When the hatch opens, the minecart drops one level onto ... something ... That something may be a roller, a ramp leading downwards, or an impulse ramp. Whatever it is, the cart is now moving in whatever direction you planned.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »

Okay, and I guess I need a track stop for the cart to launch it's contents.

Edit: ??? It launched contents but didn't go through the fortification. I've read of some people launching stuff through fortifications, so, how??
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:58:07 pm by smjjames »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:08 pm »

Edit: ??? It launched contents but didn't go through the fortification. I've read of some people launching stuff through fortifications, so, how??

Contents are launched through fortifications when a minecart slams into the fortifications.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »

Contents are launched through fortifications when a minecart slams into the fortifications.

The minecart wasn't going fast enough then. Trying to figure out how to do that, or something.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:02:36 pm »

Remember that if a minecart is going too fast it may get stuck in the fortification. Also, you don't need a track stop, the fortification alone will stop the cart, unless it's moving at a ludicrous speed or is flying through air on the tile immediately before the fortification.

You can find a relatively simple railgun design in my sig. It can be switched on and off with a lever, too. If anything in the schematics is unclear, don't hesitate to ask. If you're looking for something larger and more powerful, QuantumMenace's design is worth checking out. It's the most famous one, I believe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:00:29 pm »

Hey, another question on minecarts, I'm trying to get the cart to launch it's contents of blocks (don't need as many to fill a cart), but the same track that worked for weapons isn't launching the blocks. Do I need to go even faster or am I missing something?

Using wooden carts btw.

I'm trying to make a minecart shotgun aimed at the trade depot, but I want to find the best setup before I start digging.

Edit: nvm.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:24:54 pm by smjjames »