Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Worst of Times (masterwork v6 human community penal colony) for Australia!!!  (Read 769 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile

We are not the first of our race, who built the human empire of wood, then stone, and finally gold.
We are not the Emperor’s soldiers who held firm the bastion of civilization against the savage forces of nature.
Nor are we the first of the guildmasters who were finally able to tame the savage races with golden chains of greed and debt.
We are not even the colonists blessed by the emperor himself to expand our mighty demense.

No, my friend, we are the outcasts, the dregs of society cast upon the waves, and washed to hostile shores with naught but the clothes on our backs, and the smuggled prizes of our iniquity. We are the worst humanity has to offer, and it is not the dwarven legions, elven ambushes, or gnomish snatchers that you should worry about. It is the branded prisoner next to you who hides a past as dark, or darker than your own. Tread lightly, for this is not the human empire you were born into, but a den of liars and thieves each laboring for his own selfish desires… again I warn you, your sanity died with your freedom, and nothing can save you now.

a cool image i found from great expectations... aparently

The super real fictional background
The human empire has spread across 50% of the eastern continent and established a vast network of border forts and trade outposts. It has become so successful it has begun to grow decadent and the dark underbelly of society has grown to the point that prison infrastructure and political intrigue became more important than expansion and conquest. And so the current empress Resmi Lershiorid instituted radical new legislature to deal with the growing prisoner population. Anyone sentenced to more than one year in prison, excluding those on death row (who were executed) were shipped off to the savage western continent. Although this new punishment was seen as a death sentence by most, the totalitarian government was too powerful to stop and waves of exiles were shipped to the savage new world to fend for themselves.

Map of the world Embark Stuff

So that's where we are starting, the blue is the entirety of human civilization photoshopped together

Mod settings and such
I am using masterwork v6 humans (none of my own tweaks) I have set humans as the only civilized race, making dwarves evil, elves savage, and gnomes slavers (using babies in twisted experiments) I have also enabled the hard fortress defense races, minotaurs, jotun, fiend spiders and nightwings. I have also enabled diseases (which don’t seem to work with any races besides dwarves, so you should be fine) digging invaders, and razing invaders (for extra fun). The masterwork humans focus on trade and have a special economy separate from the vanilla trade system.

What I need from those interested in playing
Since the first seven are going to be the foundation of the fortress for a bit, they will start in the embark screen, if you are interested in playing here is what I need.
1.   Call the human you will be playing as and if you don’t want the default name give me your preferred name
2.   What is your crime? (I’m going to be using custom job titles to list everyone by their crime, keep in mind if you were too crazy, i.e. mass genocide, you would be executed, not shipped off to some island)
3.   What are your stats? Seeing as you probably won’t be able to bring a bunch of junk with you, each human can have the full ten skill points
4.   What were you able to smuggle with you? This is tricky because you should try to be realistic, sticking to small items you could hide on your person, but seeing as we should have at least 1 pick and/or axe, just try to choose stuff within reason without too much metagaming
5.   a modicum of enthusiasm, as mentioned earlier, the starting seven will play big part in the foundation of the fort/encampment so don’t call a place in the fort, then leave….. until we get some migrants at least.

Game rules (these are subject to change if the community votes against them [for a good reason] or they turn out to be pointless)
1.   Roleplay your human. There are limitations set by the game of course, but try to be as selfish/petty/needy human as possible
2.   There is government (to police the humanity)… from the beginning, it will be relatively weak. It will be a mostly democratic system, with the caravan leader having the final say. (he can be deposed by ¾ vote) As the fort progresses, the different noble positions will get their own benefits.
3.   Unless told to do otherwise, I will do basic fort building stuff, but that’s where the roleplaying comes in. I am open to suggestions about rules and as troubles arise, I will tweak the rules to compensate.

also name of the fortress and group is up to the community.... current fort name is Tomesavagery, group name is The Volcanic Council
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:32:36 am by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst of Times (human community fortress) also name pending
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:14:41 am »

here  are the starting 7 and the list of all skills

The animals are the same as the dwarven starting animals with the addition of hawks (which can be trained for hunting) and bunnies... there may be other variations of basic dwarven creatures, like turkeys, chickens as well as guinehens and stuff, so if u want a pet, say what animal you brought with you.

Items are all basically the same as well, bows are used for hunting, weapons include knuckle dusters and long swords, in addition to the basic war hammers, morning stars, and short swords. Also there are torches as an alternative to shields which allow you to not get messed up by caves.

One last issue.... there is no way (as far as i know) to determine gender from embark, so i apologize if your knavish swashbuckling rogue turns out to be a gaptoothed female, with a shaved head and a tattoo (actually that sounds like a piratess [basically just roleplay your way out of that scenerio] 

The final last last thing (i have to remind myself sometimes) incase you can't think of a crime, here are a few you could use or expand on... battery/assault, high vandalism, theft, bribery, insanity/lunacy (no not a werecurse), piracy, smuggling, arson, tax fraud, purgury. not to mention informal crimes commited against high ranking officials, snobbery, sleeping with, or even catching the eye of a noble's wife, plots beyond your understanding, failure to arrive at a duel (i guess that could be a crime maybe) at this point it's getting into longer variations of pissed off a noble

I think that's it, i'll try to get this started as soon as possible
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:57:31 am by Megaman_zx »

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:46:22 am »

''My name is Lord Vambridge. Or at least it was, until the damned empresses' spies caugh up with my little jig. Now i'm just a guy in chains

We had a pretty sweet operation going on. I'd stay informed of the many, many social events going on around the continent. Banquets, tourneys, weddings, grand balls, you name it. As the son and heir to the titular Lord of Castle Vambridge, it was easy for me to hear and learn about guest lists and such. Then I'd arrange for some unfortunate accidents along the way. Highwaymen were the norm at first, but as the autorities got suspicious, my boys soon became more crafty. some of them would join the noble parties, disguising themselves as maids, simple carriage riders, or cooks. then they'd take off with the jewelry during the night, or make sure that some ''packages'' were lost along the way.

As I said, we had a pretty sweet gig running. But we got greedy, aww yes, we sure did. And cocky. And sure enough, someone talked.

And now here I am. I don't have much. (A shame, considering I once had so much! Oh the tragedy!) Only those... those horrible, generic, LOWBORN clothes, but at least i was able to smuggle this locket (amulet?), which should be enough to prove my once outstanding status as a noble once those lowly inmates and I reach our destination. Once the basics of this new settlement are in order, I sure as all hells intend to take over and turn this place into my own personal operation... or maybe convince someone else to do as i say and head my words.

I my not be as sturdy and tough as some of the dirty thugs i,ll be sharing a handcrafted cell with, but I've got more experience with words and number than they do. I bet must of them can't even read, humph. I've heard rumors from merchants, claiming they found many gems in the west... with some luck, and my business expertise, i bet we can turn this hellhole of a future home into a very...profitable operation.

But don't think I have forgotten what was taken from me, nor who has taken it away. The traitor, the judge, the nobles who condemned me... Once fortune and power are mine once more, I'll have them brough to me in chains. Then they will learn not to cross Ethan Vambridge.''

Name: Ethan Vanbridge
Crime: Organised Jewelry theft and resale
Stats: focus on social/acconting skills. Favored profession, gemcrafting/setting. (if possible, i can understand if thats not something important for the early 7)
I'm not listing specifics because im not super familiar with how advanced character creation works, just grab a few stats that fit the idea.
Posessions: an amulet (or any such trinket)

Hope that's fine with you?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:51:11 am by Taupe »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:54:39 am »

ethan doesn't seem like he would be a member of the carpenter's guild, so he gets to be a generic peasant ex-Nobleman (kinda) with a silver amulet and a silver tongue

Ethan Vanbridge - Organized Crime (Theft) [didn't want the custom profession name to get too long] we have our first inventory item (silver amulet) and his skills are adequate leader, novice observer, novice record keeper, adequate organizer, adequate appraiser, novice liar, novice negotiator.

sadly, i don't know of, and couldn't find a way to get someone to wear an amulet in dwarf mode, so although it will be assumed you own the amulet (and are wearing) it will actually be collecting dust in the bottom of the wagonboatthing which took u here
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:11:32 am by Megaman_zx »