Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Deathwatch: 40K RPG - Smells like Heresy...  (Read 7920 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Deathwatch: 40K RPG - Smells like Heresy...
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »

Sure? I was in the call for at least half an hour, maybe more, before we called it quits. Probably screwy timezones.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Deathwatch: 40K RPG - Smells like Heresy...
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 03:35:13 am »

While I absolutely love Dark Heresy, playing as a Space Marine has a lot of problems.

Never mind the fact that you're an overpowered killing machine. Space Marines, in my opinion, would lack the free will to be played as characters in a tabletop. I honestly can't see a player being able to pull off playing a Space Marine properly. And if they did, you'd lack the free will/player choice that comes with most tabletops. I dunno though.

I got all of my dakka fix from playing an operative in Dark Heresy who obtained a bolter. Same thing, more believable than a SM negotiating with a xeno "Cuz Inquisition said to be quiet".
I'll admit my knowledge of WH40K is limited and from what I DO know it seems to me Dark Heresy is probably more open to traditional RPG elements where Deathwatch feels more like a tactical squad-based shooty (I mean, that's what I'm guessing)... BUT I could also envision some really interesting interactions between players who choose vastly different chapters to play. Imagine a kill-team of Salamander, Marine Malevolent, Ultramarine, Flesh Tearer and Lamenter find themselves within the reach of the objective that needs to be destroyed... but with a group of civilians right in the middle of their path.

Salamnder: "Wait wait, we must no squander the precious lives of Emperor's beloved! The must be a way around..."
MM: "Those are acceptable losses. Prepare to be sent to His holy embrace."
UM: "Hmmmm, let me see what my pocket edition Codex Astartes says about this situation..."
FT: "RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR!!1" *angry sound of chainsword*
Lamenter: *sigh* "I'm pretty sure I'll get my ass kicked regardless of what we do..."

Which kinda makes me interested: any plans for AARs? Or at least anyone know of a place where I could read ones? My crappy mic, timezone and general ineptness at playing such games prevents me from joining them, but I'd really like to see how this actually plays.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 2 [3]