Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exploit?  (Read 1786 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Exploit?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »

If people really think this is an exploit then I guess you could have another level of silk.

Cheap Silk from the spiders that you can get early game.

Deep Silk from the cavern spiders from the wilds.

Forgotten Beast silk obviously.

But I honestly think that the costs of gaining wealth so early are a sufficient balance.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »

The earlier wealth you get, the faster you will be besieged.
Or am I wrong?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:32 pm »

Pretty much, and the more difficult the opponent will be. It might start off as just goblins, but anybody playing vanilla DF will know how deadly that can be in the right circumstances.

Look at the race list in the manual for sieges. It can very quickly get out of hand, especially if you have the fort defense invasions turned on.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:08 pm »

By the way, do those spiders take fall damage?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 05:08:39 am »

The drowspiders are an issue anyway, because drow, goblins and orcs always arrive with them. We need more different pack/pull animals for these guys.

They really do make it a bit extreme. Goblin sieges are a bit OP when all fifty of them are constantly webbing.  Might I suggest some sort of warg like creature for the evil races?

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:15 am »

I'm looking at removing drowspiders as a domestic animal for evil races as part of the orc rebalance.

However I'm incredibly lazy, so I'm delighted to accept patches and/or suggestions on what animal(s) (if any) should replace them. I suspect tusk-oxes are available to orcs, in which case they may not need replacing at all.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 04:07:05 pm »

Eh … I didn’t notice this thread because of the title before posting a few moments ago re: Silk Farms.  There is a wealth trigger but it’s fortress aggregate; rare silk clothes when worn affect a dwarf’s mood.  It’s mostly a moot point anyway, it doesn’t take long to hit the trigger.  Meph has nerfed spiders way back but before he did, a webber at the gates was better than a turret.  And white widows would breed and quickly swarm over anything except other spiders; I miss those. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »

maybe one of the armor runes should be webimmune?  Seems a lot more useful than whatever, fearimmune

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 06:37:21 am »

fear immune is insanely useful, on civilians ;) Give your siegeoperators and clutch miner/masons fear immunity and the will save your ass

Actually it is probably the most used rune on armors for me ^^ Most others I usually consider as too expensive or too situational.
Pages: 1 [2]