Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Psudo-randomness in creating masterworks  (Read 503 times)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
Psudo-randomness in creating masterworks
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:13 pm »

I think I may have noticed an interesting trend in creating masterwork items.
If you que up several different items at a workshop that all require the same skill, and assign that workshop to a single dwarf, then put them all on repeat; the number of each masterwork items you get is directly related to the order in which you qued them.
Meaning, if you really want masterwork warhammers, assign the warhammers as the first item in the que on repeat, then fill up the rest of the que with other weapons on repeat in order of most important to least important.
More SCIENCE is required, but so far I've noticed this with weaponsmithing, armorsmithing and masonry.

And just to clarify, this isn't simply a case of the first item has 1 more masterwork because it's first in que. If you fill up the que with 10 different items, you're going to get roughly twice as many masterwroks on the first item compared to the last item.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:40:47 pm by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psudo-randomness in creating masterworks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »

What you are seeing is probably object or material preferences at work. I'm just guessing, but your dwarf probably likes that first thing. Having a preference for an object or material means a dwarf is more skilled when making that thing. I really can't imagine anything that would make queue order matter.