Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants all soldiers  (Read 604 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Migrants all soldiers
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:06:24 pm »

In my current fortress I have noticed that almost every dwarf has at least competent in a weapon skill, and novice in dodging etc. And by almost everyone, I mean literally 6 out of 120 have been nonmilitary (not including starting 7 or the first two hardcoded waves). If it makes a difference, every civilization that I've interacted with including my own is currently at war with the local goblins.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants all soldiers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »

There is always war with goblins ([BABYSNATCHER] tag) but your civ should in his history actually waged that war (if no land connection is possible they won't fight),or even some recently ended elf-dwarf or human-dwarf war, so consider yourself lucky, you got the bravest survivors in your civilization.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »

it's really just the war. My current fort has about 1 soldier in 4 migrants, very peaceful here. At least, it was peaceful until I started this fort, now everyone is taking turns sieging me, and I didn't even have to do anything for that to happen
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:11 am »

My current play through is the same. Out of 23 migrants 20 were competent in 1 weapon skill. Lol my army was more than my workers. I just hated wasting their skill so kept making squads.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:14 am »

There is a setting somewhere in the init.txt that affects what skill-base your dwarves come with. I will do a bit of digging and see if I can find it for you.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:17 am »

there is nothing in the init file that affects what skills they have, just wether jobs are enabled, I think
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:35:15 pm »

It also depends on whether or not the dwarves are historical figures or not.  DF isn't above generating new dwarves from the aether if it doesn't have a suitable one somewhere in the civilization.  If you want to get to the bottom of this, split your save and look at some of your dwarves in legends mode.  If they were 'born to unknown parentage' then they were simply generated for your fortress.  If they have a rich history of goblin bashing then your question is answered.