Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants and caravans  (Read 809 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants and caravans
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:04 am »

I am late in year three of my fortress with 19 dwarves getting the fortress ready for the massive migrant wave That typically happens in spring of year two but late in year three I still wait.

I figure I had better get some beautiful crafts of rare and precious materials for the up coming caravan that would attract my migrants.

my first caravan arrived in fall of year three and was immediately ambushed and killed by goblins.  will it be another three years before i see migrants or another caravan?

is there another way to get migrants in my fort?  with only 19 dwarves i am still low tech however

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants and caravans
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:15:04 am »

you can build the embassy and invite a caravan

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »

Right, the embassy can be used to summon caravans and interestingly buy off caravan guards, among other things. But it isn't free; the reagents are apparently gold coins. 2000 coins per caravan, but you get to pick when and who arrives. Coins can be produces easily in a Coin Mint but that workshop requires tech. Since you're low on tech you'll just have to forge them the standard way.

Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to hire a caravan guard belonging to another race? Say, I invite a human caravan , can I buy out a human guard? Or a legion guard?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:27 pm »

No, its only for dwarven caravans. I could theoratically allow buying from other races, but they wouldnt do labors. The creature has to be the same creature that makes you civ. So if you play DWARVES, it can only be DWARVES.

I have something like this for my warlocks though. They can take any invader near a torture chamber, use the same script, and in addition to that transform the creature into a civ-member. Take human prisoner in a cage, bring cage to torture chamber, make a new ghoul for your army.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 04:08:28 pm »

Interesting. Just for clarification, is a Legion Dwarf considered a different race from normal Dwarves?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 04:12:37 pm »

yes
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:18:56 pm »

Haha good, that'd be OP.