Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gladiator Arena  (Read 770 times)

zakanater19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gladiator Arena
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:11:49 pm »

Anyone know how to set-up a working gladiator arena, where you set your soldiers against kobolds ect

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiator Arena
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:17:09 pm »

Either build it and make a squad for the battlers or use the Item Test one.
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:39 pm »

The way I see it there are multiple elements that make up an arena.
couple more tips;
Put soldiers in THEN release victims, so there is no chance they can run past your entrances when your soldiers enter. ( don't forget to forbid, if applicable)
keep the hospital close, and remember items dropped in combat ( or fired ) will be forbidden so you will have to reclaim if you want a clean arena
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Kerbalrocketry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:04:07 am »

Yep, done it many times.
It's good training for the newbies. Set up some cage traps, couple of animal traps if your biome has dangerous animals, and then just release them into the arena along with the designed Gladiators.

Mine just consisted of
Entry tunnel for gladiators with a door at each end, open outer end and station them inside then close that and open arena side.
The Arena, just a simple battle area with a viewing gallery above it (a statue garden)
And a Pitting area for the Opponents, order caged opponents to be pitted here, have a few Milita stationed here during pitting as sometimes they escape.

It worked pretty well, sometimes the Dwarfs came out a bit bloodied but all came out with a bit more knowledge of hitting things with the pointy end.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:33:20 am »

It's slightly tedious and kind of messy, but I always line the walls of my arenas with the cages my prisoners are housed in. I then link one lever to as many "challengers" as I want. This way I can seal all my gladiators inside and release their quarry without any direct interaction by non combatants. Once everything is dead it's fun to watch the haulers "rush the field" in a mad dash for all the cages, mechanisms, and viscera.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:57:24 pm »

Glass ceiling?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:00 am »

Use raising bridges and then (h)ide the raised bridge. It'll look like open-air viewing to the player.

Continuing on the 'raised bridges' thread, you could have 1-wide raising bridges and then 1-wide retracting bridges carpeting the viewing area. The raised bridges will be visually indistinguishable from the retracting bridges.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:03:27 pm »

EDIT: wrong thread...
If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous