Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I cant play anymore because i want to play  (Read 1460 times)

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I cant play anymore because i want to play
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:19:35 am »

We all know that the new version will come out soon... or atleast sooner than later.
To be honest... i am too excited to play, in the new version, that is. So please help me, i need my daily dose of DF madness! Tell me what you want to do in the next version, either in Fortress mode or Adventure mode. I...i just...cant...anymore...please...
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: I cant play anymore because i want to play
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:48:57 am »

I want to surround elven sites with dorf forts, retire them and try to incite war so I can watch it unfold in adventure mode.

I also want to try out climbing combined with ambushing, sneaking into a camp and climbing up a tree to jump on the head of the unsuspecting camp leader, proceeding to bite his ears off and throw them in his face.

Until then, I still don't feel I have experienced all that DF has to offer, and I haven't even really touched mods so I'm not itching quite so much.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:27:20 am »

Create traps for people scaling the walls of my fort! Some sort of magma release system would be handy. Or water and flush them into a cistern filled with pillars to mash them to death.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:44:27 pm »

We all know that the new version will come out soon... or atleast sooner than later.
To be honest... i am too excited to play, in the new version, that is. So please help me, i need my daily dose of DF madness! Tell me what you want to do in the next version, either in Fortress mode or Adventure mode. I...i just...cant...anymore...please...

Well, I can defy your very basic thesis: There are no guarantee that there will ever be a next DF version released, nor that you will be able to enjoy it.
This is a community-funded donation-based project, developed by exactly one coder. Whole lot of things can go wrong, prohibiting ang future release, at any moment. Your interest in gaming and even ability to play are not guaranteed either(statistically speaking: we all are mortal).
So I would recommend you to play current version and be marry. It is all we have, so let's enjoy it while we can.
I, personally will wait for dfhack and masterwork(and rapist, and tilesets, and soundsense) to be updated before even thinking about next version.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »

I'm going to create a medium world with normal-ish settings and bring about The Age of Dwarves. Between establishing forts, starting wars with neighbors (hopefully trained soldiers will give the dwarves an advantage in post-worldgen activities), and running around killing people and claiming sites as an adventurer, it should be possible. Actually, this would make a pretty good succession world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:53 pm »

I've almost perfected creating adventurers that can properly wrestle and throw people. I can almost actually aim the person I'm throwing at someone else (I once came across a vampire, and threw him across an entire room into a toddler, just to see if I could.)

And now the elves with live in giant trees, with a multiple z-level fall to the forest floor.
You can see where this is going.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:15 am »

How do you aim thrown people?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:10 am »

I haven't played DF for four months now. I can feel the arrival of the next version and I just can't focus on the current one.

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »

I haven't played DF for four months now. I can feel the arrival of the next version and I just can't focus on the current one.

Yeah thats exactly what im going through right now too :/ Haven't played since December... I am going to love the carp out of the next version :D
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 05:44:50 pm »

Play with one of the major mods to pass the time. I'm currently playing masterwork and plan to until next release.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:36 pm »

How do you aim thrown people?
It mostly depends on which body part you throw them with, if you want to send them flying to the right of your character, I grab the right upper arm. If I want them to fly directly forward, grab and throw from the head or throat. To send them backwards, I usually grab their feet, but it's not very reliable compared to the others, and you can sometimes send them flying into yourself if you don't step out of the way fast enough.
Though it really boils down to about 40% body part thrown and 60% luck.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread