Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: creature occupying spot  (Read 889 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
creature occupying spot
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:07:17 pm »

im having some trouble with the game telling me that there is a creature occupying the spot that im trying to build my fortification on even though I looked and there is nothing there.  Has anyone ever run into this problem before?

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: creature occupying spot
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:56 am »

Are you modded or using DFHack?  If you teleport a guy who's carrying something, it'll cause trouble.  Also, has anything died there?  Other than that, I've got no idea what could cause it.  Use loo[k] to see what's in that tile.
I brake for stumble bumblings

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:09:23 am »

yea i used some teleporting with rune smith but it wasnt onto the problem tile.

ive also looked with K, as well as flooding the place and letting it drain out but that didnt fix it
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:13:23 am by meowmix »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:00:16 pm »

And has anyone had problems with rocks both not being able to be dumped or built on top of (/used for building?)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:12:21 pm »

And has anyone had problems with rocks both not being able to be dumped or built on top of (/used for building?)

The offending rock is most likely tasked to be used in building something, as that is the behavior of such items.  The other possibility is that the is forbidden, in that case you can reclaim it with d-b-c.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

TomlinAS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »

Hate to necro the thread but I am 100% vanilla and having a GREAT deal of difficulty in constructing my first major project -- a 45 z-level pump stack outdoors to bring a river up to the caldera of a volcano -- because I am constantly getting this "creature was occupying the space" error. There is no creature in the space. I haven't teleported anybody or modded anything. I can't get my dwarves to just build *walls*....blah. Any ideas?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 05:54:25 am »

It's a common problem nowadays; the creature occupying the space is the dwarf that's trying to build the wall.
To fix it, make sure that there is a space directly next to the building designation that the dwarf can stand on while building. They can't do it diagonally, and they don't like to stand on ramps.

Sometimes the dwarfs won't finish the building even after you fixed the access problems. The problem there is that the block is lying directly on the designation and if the builder dwarf grabs it, he cancels the job again. If that's the case, remove the building designation, give an order to build a new wall, but use a different block for it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.