Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to handle black lung?  (Read 1982 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to handle black lung?
« on: March 02, 2014, 10:56:54 pm »

Does the dwarf who is "almost never sick and quick to heal" have more chance to survive?
Does it heal or become worse over time?

And what's your strategy?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle black lung?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 11:00:59 pm »

Does "Don't bother to mine coal" count?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:11:56 pm »

Any dwarf that contracts is probably dead. In my experiance, usually within seconds He might survive long enough to get to a tavern and get healed by its music with his recuperation at max. It only gets worse as far as I know. No recovery. It's pretty much the death boiling stone used in the kobold thieves tunnel or earlier versions of the temple of Armok. Strategies with dealing with it? Turning off harder mining, using charcoal instead and being Warlocks or Kobolds who don't need coal as much.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:49:19 pm »

He might survive long enough to get to a tavern and get healed by its music with his recuperation at max.
sorry I'm new to MDF, which song?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:54:20 pm »

He might survive long enough to get to a tavern and get healed by its music with his recuperation at max.
sorry I'm new to MDF, which song?

I think any song will work. Its because it transforms them into a different creature temporarily and then back to their original uninjured form. Transformations reset injuries and some diseases and the tavern is the easiest source of them. You could also turn them into an Apostle or a special caste of some sort. Also, masons guild dwarves are immune to contracting black lung. So having at least some of your miners be in the masons guild for best results.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:39 am »

Here is how to handle it: Masons Guild. The miners of the masons guild get some resistance to black lung and warpstone. They dont die from black lung, and just get sick, maybe survive, warpstone.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:38 am »

Can't you just dig around the coal dust?  It's more micromanagement, sure, but in the early days of the fortress (which is when you have the biggest problem from dying miners) it's generally the smarter option.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:27:21 am »

Hmmm... in my fortresses I found a much easier solution to black lung....

Coffins!!!
They work incredibly well, you just have to remember to assign new miners now and then...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:38:03 am »

Hehe ^^

No, digv helps a lot actually. Since the dust-emitting inorganic is different from the normal coal, the command to dig a vein will only dig normal coal, leaving the harmful coal-dust undug. You can also du this by hand... if you see the message "you have struck coal dust", just check where it is, and dont dig it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »

Has the recent version changed anything about black lung?

My current fortress has about three or four dwarves wandering around coughing up blood, they've been diagnosed with wounded hearts (yellow colored on the wound screen), but they accept no treatment in the hospital, just go about their daily business, coughing up little pools of blood everywhere every so often.

"Uhh, Urist, you don't look so good..." "BAH! Nonsense, I'm... *spews blood all over the wall he's engraving.  Smudges it a little while he clears it off* I'm fine!"

The other dwarves just see these three cough up blood, sigh dejectedly, shake their heads a little, then go grab a mop to clean it up.

This has been going on for about three years now, the buggers simply won't die.  Or stop coughing up blood.  It's amusing but the red clashes with my fortress color scheme.  My options are to either shove the bastards off my bridge and let gravity finish them off early, or repaint the entire fortress in red.  I know of several good ways to do either of those things, heh
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »

In terms of healing their hearts there is a convenient thing that happens with transformations where the dwarf is fully healed.  Have those dwarves sing a song in the tavern building or change guild in the guildhall.

At least this used to work.