Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Eight Squared (Tower Chess Megaproject)  (Read 5025 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Eight Squared (Tower Chess Megaproject)
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:59:09 am »

For your enjoyment, a little offering I've been working on:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8314

An entire world based on a chess board. (Plus some other goodies.)

Way I see it, is the game of chess involves either embarking to an "empty" square and building the appropriate tower there or embarking to an "occupied square" and attempting to "capture that piece". 

I'm using nanofortress to create 1x1 embarks where the towers are located then retiring them as towns using Dfhack, so they'll have dwarves there if adventurers visit, or enemy dwarves there if we try to re-embark there.

So here is the breakdown of the piece movement:

Movement of a piece into an "empty" square involves two actions:
1) re-embark in the piece's current location, "tweak makeown" all the dwarves there, change it into a lair, then abandon the site.
2) Using Nanofortress embark in a 1x1 empty square and rebuild a new tower there in the shape of the appropriate piece, change it to a lair then retire it as a town (basically, choose a dwarf, invoke dfusion, change dwarf into an -option 2- adventurer, invoke "mode set", change mode to -option 2- "adventurer", retire adventurer.)

Movement of a piece into an "occupied" square involves three actions:
1) re-embark in the piece's current location, "tweak makeown" all the dwarves there, change it into a lair, then abandon the site.
2) Using Nanofortress and Embark Everywhere, embark in a 1x2 set of squares, where one of the squares contains the enemy fortress.
3) Build the proper tower while at the same time trying to capture all the dwarves in the opposing tower ( if you can free some of "your" side's dwarves who had been captured in previous moves, that's a bonus population.)  Once both these goals are finished, change the site into a lair and retire the fort.

The two sides are fighting this highly ritualistic war in order to decide who the next Dwarven King will be.  The side able to put the opposing one into "Checkmate" is the victor.  (At least until some other group decides to commit to generations of tower building in a bid for rulership over the entire world...)

Now a minor motion picture!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:09:29 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Eight Squared (Chess, DF-style)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:39:42 am »

I'll be setting up the entire board before I'm done, then the real fun begins: playing some chess!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:01:43 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: The Eight Squared (Tower Chess)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:41 am »

This looks like it is needlesly complicated and nonsensical project....

Posting to watch^^
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »

Needlessly complicated is the dwarven way! (Besides, how many megaprojects encompass an entire world-map?)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:57 pm »

Needlessly complicated is the dwarven way! (Besides, how many megaprojects encompass an entire world-map?)

Ha, that's the Spirit! I wish you luck, Sir, and hope you find an opponent soon! (I cannot figure the more... fine... details of DF Hack out, and I cannot commit that much time to it^^)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: The Eight Squared (Tower Chess Megaproject)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 05:18:06 pm »

If I wasn't bad at chess I would eventually play this.
How about some other table games? Like Go, Checkers or Monopoly...

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »

If I wasn't bad at chess I would eventually play this.
How about some other table games? Like Go, Checkers or Monopoly...

That Ausie Guy already did Dwarven Checkers^^. I am semi-decent at chess but it is the DF Hack bits that make me not volunteer for this^^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:05:19 pm by exodius1 »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:50 pm »

You ballsed that link up but you're right, how could I forget Dwarven Checkers.
I meant on a worldmap scale though, there is a big difference between dwarf height and dwarf size.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »

You ballsed that link up but you're right, how could I forget Dwarven Checkers.
I meant on a worldmap scale though, there is a big difference between dwarf height and dwarf size.

One-Tile-Fits-All theory disagrees with you^^

Just kidding, I know what you mean^^

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:12:25 pm »

There's only one exception to that theory: a dwarf's spirit stupidity.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:12 pm »

I'd be willing to set up a "Dwarven Monopoly World" if people would be willing to play it.  I can see using Perfect World to make a squared ring of plains.  We'd have to build a road passing the entire length of the circle, with toll bridges towns and the like.  (We'd just start with your basic embark farms + bridge but "buying houses" would equal having to build something smallish like a 4-plex or something for each house - I'd need some help from you guys figuring out what to build to represent a "house", and when you have four "houses" built, I suppose building a wall around them with arrow towers (like the keeps in the walled fortresses from Vanilla) would equal "buying hotels".

I get that you might not know the particulars of DFhack, but if you just save the game w/o abandoning and PM me with the link, I'll tidy it up before doing my turn.  (Besides, that lets me post "pretty pictures" too)

So should I set up a game of "Monopoly World"?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:19 pm »

Both sound awesome  monopoly world sounds nice.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:30 am »

Ok, so I've genned it already - anyone have the rules to Monopoly, the cards and so on?  I figure I'll put the cards down in a numbered list and players can use an online "dice roller" to determine which cards they "draw" for community chest or the orange ones (what were those called?)

The world I've genned has everybody making cities, towns, villages, roads, tombs, forts, towers, ect... so there's a dwarf village at "Go" that everybody can embark from.  I figure everyone takes a turn making adjacent forts on "Go", and crafting whatever they want to be their "playing piece" - A helm, an amulet, a sword, a backpack, ect...  So the thought is that on their turn, the player will roll the dice and post the link to their result before embarking in whatever square the dice roll shows.  Anyway, if they retire the town using dfhack, (or just save the file without abandoning and letting me do it for them), then their "move" is to successfully bring the item to wherever the new fort/town ended up, maybe by using a series of adventurers or something, then they "retire as a peasant" there, or drop it off and go starve in the wilderness wrestling unicorns or something - anyway, when the item gets to the new fortress, that's the end of their turn.

I figure monopoly money could be symbolized with coins from the forts built on "GO".  The only currency people leave at other Player's forts is the GO fort coins, which I'll keep track of in the Dwarf Monopoly game.  Best part: People can start playing at any time, by just building a new fort in the GO square on their first turn and minting some fresh coins, so there's always going to be fresh competition.

I'll put this in the recruitment post too, but anyone up for some "round the world" Dwarfopoly?

OK, I have rules here, now to find out what the sixteen Chance and Community Chest cards have on them...
Ah ha!  Here we go: Chance, Community Chest, and even the values of the Property Deeds.  I think we can manipulate what these cards say to make it more DF specific, though.  What do you guys think?

...and here's a link to the world +100 years of history: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8334
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:30:10 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii