Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange map reveal glitch, how do I fix? and has anybody had this before?  (Read 1568 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While doing exploration with a stray animal, I noticed that there was this wierd bit of map in the corner that wouldn't be revealed, and there is a stray monitor lizard a z level below the cursor. There were also a bunch of crundles that mysteriously died, DFhacks deathcause just says crundle has died. No cause, nothing. Also, the montor lizard can go into the unexplored area and has killed a few crundles in the area.

Also, the zombies that I had seen earlier near the demon fort (including at least two mothmen/women) have mysteriously vanished, or maybe they retreated inside, don't know. A quick check with reveal hell shows zombies still inside the demon fort though, so it's not too bad.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange map reveal glitch, how do I fix? and has anybody had this before?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:16:46 am »

I see it every time. I quit fooling with caverns for the time being, so I don't know what it is.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:04 am »

I haven't seen it before and it's just a small bit of the corner, so it's not a major issue.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »

did you use reveal or reveal all? reveal leaves candy pillars as unrevealed emptyness such as that.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »

did you use reveal or reveal all? reveal leaves candy pillars as unrevealed emptyness such as that.

No, this is with the area 'unrevealed' (as in the reveal cheat was cleared). I checked and there aren't any candy pillars at that location, and besides, it's the corner edge of the map.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »

No, this is with the area 'unrevealed' (as in the reveal cheat was cleared). I checked and there aren't any candy pillars at that location, and besides, it's the corner edge of the map.

Have any dwarves explored that location?  Only a portion of the caverns is revealed when you enter them, the remainder being unrevealed.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:19:11 pm »

Have any dwarves explored that location?  Only a portion of the caverns is revealed when you enter them, the remainder being unrevealed.

Note that I said that there is a stray monitor lizard a z level below the cursor. Haven't sent any dwarves to that cavern level yet though. The monitor lizard being there should have revealed it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:31 pm »

did the monitor lizard get there while the mapwas revealed? the map is only properly explored when explored without being revealed. Most noticable and famous for people digging down with the map revealed, avoiding caverns, getting to magma and unrevealing the map again only to have everything they just dug out be covered in darkness and the miners stuck at the bottom. Somehow they don't explore while stuck that way and you'd have to send someone down to explore 'properly'. Sorry if it's not making too much sense, I'm a bit tired.

So, did you explore the area while it was not revealed or while it was revealed? If it was revealed you hit a dfhack related bug (not a bug in the game, after all you'd have used a third party program to 'cheat', Toady can't be held responsible for any problems that other people cause)
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »

I had it paused while the map was revealed. Though I guess I just need to send some other critter or dwarf over to explore that spot.

Might have had it unpaused for a moment by accident, I dunno.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:57:26 pm »

You can get into some weird situations with the reveal command if you reveal the area, somehow enter/explore an area you didnt already have uncovered, and then unreveal.  You can end up with splotches of unexplored terain that your dwarves wont enter, and cant be revealed unless you reveal a fresh tile adjacent to them (usualy the whole patch updates once the first block does)  This is most noticable if you reveal, do a bit of mining and then unreveal.

You could try sending a dwarf there, if it fails to reveal try mining out a piece of the wall next to that area.  If that still does not work try the revflood command.  revflood reveals all tiles with a path to the cursor, basicly anything a dwarf could walk to.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:55:47 am »

which may not be good if you don't want to uncover all of the caverns

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:41 am »

It's just a small spot way in the corner of the map, it's not like its taking up a 16x16 tile wide chunk of the map in the middle, so I can get around to sending a dwarf over there at my leisure.

Those odd crundle deaths and the disappearance of the zombies outside the demon fort (maybe they disappear after a while when they get a certain distance away?) was odd, but there are still zombies inside there and crundles are numerous enough so its all good.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:57 pm »

do FB and the undead fight? And cavern wildlife is a bit more aggresive and might have attacked one?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »

I don't know about FBs and undead, but since I had explored just about the rest of the cavern, I would have seen the corpses in the third cavern level or in the stocks, and they aren't there. Most of the second cavern level is unexplored, so they could have gone that way.