Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress cheats  (Read 8592 times)

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress cheats
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:17:41 am »

Im trying to follow the Dwarf wiki so i can spit out free steel bars from the smelter but its not working...what gives? I still need fuel and reagents.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress cheats
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

You realise that there is no guarantee there will be the things you need on your map yes? Also as far as I know there is no easy cheat to get the materials. Equip your army with copper and pray.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:23:10 am »

Which raws did you modify?

If you modified raw/objects/reaction_smelter.txt, those are the "master" raws used when generating new worlds - you need to edit data/save/regionX/raw/objects/reaction_smelter.txt to modify an existing world.

If you modified the region-specific raws, it's possible you edited something incorrectly, in which case you'll need to post the edited raws so we can check if you did it correctly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:24 am »

Which raws did you modify?

If you modified raw/objects/reaction_smelter.txt, those are the "master" raws used when generating new worlds - you need to edit data/save/regionX/raw/objects/reaction_smelter.txt to modify an existing world.

If you modified the region-specific raws, it's possible you edited something incorrectly, in which case you'll need to post the edited raws so we can check if you did it correctly.

Oops, didn't realising you were messing around with raws. Now I feel silly :(

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:08 am »

okay well i decided to do it with adamantine. I replaced the old raw files for the smelter reaction in the data in the save file in that world with

[REACTION:FREE_ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:create adamantine wafers]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

and deleted the old one. But it still says i need adamantine strands
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:09:31 pm »

No, no no! You misunterstood each other!

You can get extra bars in vanilla when smelting specific items in the smelter, for example, chain leggings or giant axe blades.

Also note that the smelting process will give you fractions of bars. So let's say you have melted an item which material yield is equal to 1.2 bars. This will give you 1 bar of the metal, while the remaining 0.2 will be stored in the smelter where you got the job done. So you need to melt 4 more pieces of this item to get one additional bar. Keep in mind that these values will accumulate and are stored for each smelters, and for each metals.

This will get more complicated when it comes to adamantine, so check the wiki for more information.
And yes, you can change the smelting outcome of each item types, respectively.

By the way, this cheat is a really, really rude thing, which I would never-ever try. :P ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:13:43 pm by Geldrin »

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »

And of course I would never, ever make a stack of 500 steel coins, separate them into stacks of 1 at the trading depot (using macros when possible), then smelt them for a 49 bar net gain, especially at a magma smelter where I wouldn't even need fuel.

If you're talking about modding, do you need to specify the reagent as NONE? Don't know a lot about it, but from what I've gleaned from browsing modded raws, it might help. Or you could just have a worthless material as a reagent.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:08:21 pm by UnlawfullyDeranged »
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »

Of course you wouldn't use coins. They take up valuable space, and create useless hauling jobs that gum up production.

You would use bolts instead.

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 01:20:47 am »

It's been a while since I did any modding, but I'm pretty sure you need to use something in your reactions to make them work.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:29:49 am »

That item does not need to be consumed however. [Any_stone] works (I forget the exact token..), just follow the example of the brewing or lyemaking operations which require barrels/buckets, which are not consumed.  Reaction requires it, but item is not used. Since it is the closest one to the workshop (being inside!), it will not be hauled, and the next production run will start instantly.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »

okay well i decided to do it with adamantine. I replaced the old raw files for the smelter reaction in the data in the save file in that world with

[REACTION:FREE_ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:create adamantine wafers]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

and deleted the old one. But it still says i need adamantine strands

If you're editing raws for an existing world, you must never add or remove entries, only modify them (and keep the name the same) - change that first line from "[REACTION:FREE_ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]" back to "[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]" and you'll probably find that it starts working.

Also, the rest of you guys have no idea what the original poster was talking about - he was trying to do this, but that only works when generating a new world (and also requires adding [PERMITTED_REACTION:whatever] lines to the MOUNTAIN entity definition).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:59:42 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:21 pm »

Also, the rest of you guys have no idea what the original poster was talking about - he was trying to do this, [...]
[/quote]

No, the original post was about steel bars only, and UristMcLaptop decided later "to do it with adamantine."
By the way, thanks for the tip!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 10:02:02 am »

Given that he wanted it to "spit out free steel bars" without needing "fuel or reagents", it's pretty clear that he was trying to cheat (as stated in the subject) by modifying an existing reaction to produce them for free, not trying to exploit the bug in the item melting code to produce more metal than was used to create the items being melted.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »

There is no cheating in dwarf fortress, only more inventive ways to kill virtual alcoholic midgets.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »

He was changing the reaction to take to materials, but just make it use 'ANY_STONE'. It clears out shitty stone if you stock it in a linked pile, plus free steel.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.