Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chronicles of Boothelps  (Read 839 times)

Erarbakat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Chronicles of Boothelps
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:59 am »

Dear fellow Dwarfmasters and Spiritguides,

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for some time now and I found it deeply intruiging. The high Roleplayability of the game inspired me to start writing the Chronicles of Boothelps, a Dwarven Outpost in the Jungle of Soul. You might call it a Let's Play in text but it is much more than that. It is the lovechild of my own imagination and the brilliance of Toady One.

A small excerpt from the Prologue:

"When I mustered my pioneers one last time before departure, Urdim the foreman came to me and told me with a big smile
that the lads and lasses had diced over the name our outpost should carry and that they had come up with Cogusen. It sounds
very nice so I inquired about the meaning and regretted my question immediately. Cogusen means ‘Boothelps’. Some proud
fort this is going to be…"

You can read the Chronicles of Boothelps here: http://eichwald.nl/Chronicles_of_Boothelps.pdf

Finished so far:
 - Prologue: World Creation and Embark
 - Year 1: Keas, Mudstone and Miasma

I beg your indulgence, dear readers for my use of the English language. It is not my first language. If you find any mistakes in the text, please send me a private message or email to jceichwald@gmail.com.
If you have any other feedback, criticism or encouragement please leave a reaction below to tell me what you think of my work. I will try to post new chapters as often as possible.

Armok bless you!

Erar Bakat

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Boothelps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:04:04 am »

Please continue - you tell a fine tale.  Have you read/seen the Chronicles of Likot Udeneb(Soapeater)?  Those are translated from Russian, and while the translation is imperfect English, the fact that a fantasy dwarf is the narrator allows the imperfections to themselves become a "voice".  I would suggest that you much the same - allow your translation to be imperfect without apology and let your tale tell us its soul unfettered.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Boothelps
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:16 am »

Please continue - you tell a fine tale.  Have you read/seen the Chronicles of Likot Udeneb(Soapeater)?  Those are translated from Russian, and while the translation is imperfect English, the fact that a fantasy dwarf is the narrator allows the imperfections to themselves become a "voice".  I would suggest that you much the same - allow your translation to be imperfect without apology and let your tale tell us its soul unfettered.

I agree as to not apologizing bit.

@Erar: Wow, that seems like it took a lot of work, once I have some free time I may read it to steal borrow some tricks from you^^
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.