Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gold spear?  (Read 1872 times)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold spear?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 01:15:27 am »

I tested 10vs10 squad battles of dwarfs with identical equipment apart from the hammers (silver vs. steel). The different materials performed pretty much the same when taking unarmoured dwarfs, but when the squads were entirely equipped with metal armour, silver would win with huge margins, never less than 7 survivors, usually all ten (while the the opposing squad was completely wiped every time).

I only ran a few tests like this, but it really seems that higher density helps a lot in getting an effective hit through metal armour. To really do the protective work, the armour must cover all body parts
You can check now the equipment in the screenshot I uploaded in the testing post.
I started the testing with teams of 15 gold war hammers vs 15 platinum war hammers (which didn't help much):
Spoiler: squad testing (click to show/hide)

Squad battles don't really show results well.

I agree. If one of the squads gets the first two kills then it has a great advantage over the other, and also half of the winning team might be inconscious or severely wounded, you get martial trances, etc.

"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 02:55:21 pm »

I agree. If one of the squads gets the first two kills then it has a great advantage over the other, and also half of the winning team might be inconscious or severely wounded, you get martial trances, etc.

Isn't this true of any battle?  Isn't that why you run several iterations?  Or are you saying something else?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »

Isn't this true of any battle?  Isn't that why you run several iterations?  Or are you saying something else?

This is why you make every fight 1v1.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 02:58:55 pm »

This would be a cracking weapon for a CoG - though a punishment beating with a gold spear might still be kinda painful compared to a wood or bone crossbow (which IIRC has become the norm for fortress guards).
This is a blank sig.

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

I modded in gold weapons and armor just so I could have a golden army. It's effective enough against goblins and kobolds, but we haven't faced anything FUN yet.
Pages: 1 [2]