Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armoksgiving leftovers and a visit from Armokclause  (Read 1326 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armoksgiving leftovers and a visit from Armokclause
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »

Armok just brought me two huge turkeys, one Roc flavored, one Dragon flavored. Ugh. So full. Slipping into tryptophan coma. Someone help me eat all these leftovers! How big are rocs compared to dragons? 150 dragon meat to 850 roc meat, at year 553 (not sure when these turkeys were born, though.)

As if these blessings weren't enough, Armokclause has come early and given me a sixty story candy cane for Armoksmas.

The thing is, I think this may be a reward for being part of the most badass dwarven civilization ever. I noticed that every single immigrant arrived with at least some dodge ability, and 90% had level 3 or better weapon skills. So I copied a save and looked in legends.

The dwarves of The Clear Abbey have never lost a battle. And we really, really like fighting. Half the time the goblins begged for mercy, we said, "No peace." But seeing as one of our primary gods is a god of freedom, you know, when we conquer goblins we sometimes let them join our civilization. All the royalty are dwarves, but our general is a goblin. He's our second goblin general. Our first one was eaten by a dwarven were-giraffe, cursed by that same freedom god.

My only problem is that it looks like, where Armok has given, he has taken away as well. Four years in and not a single goblin ambush. I plopped this fort down right in the middle of a goblin kingdom, I was hoping for some action! But no, it seems that no goblins want to throw down!

Oh Armok, I just figured it out.

Fat dwarves stuffed full of giant birds, rich with natural resources, exporting nothing but war, in the name of freedom?

We're the Americans. :o

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Armoksgiving leftovers and a visit from Armokclause
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:24 pm »

For a moment, I thought this would be another spambot thread. I've seen the bots become more advanced, most recent report I did even had a signature on it.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:37 pm »

I like this post.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:10 am »

Haha, fooled you! I have kitchen counters for sale in North Plymbuggleton! Plus the latest live feeds and blu rays! Did I mention that I am a Nigerian prince?

But seriously it is now year five in this fort and no damn goblins, not even snatchers. Rock candy in the thousands and nothing to stab except the occasional kobold and mega beast. Rechecked the embark screen on the copied save, I am not at peace with goblins and they are the site's nearest neighbors. Sigh.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 04:08:54 am »

Maybe the goblins know not to mess with your civ?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:41:20 am »

Have you checked their population numbers? Might be that there simply isn't enough of them left after your civs many years of slaughtering them :>

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »

" Ah fuckin' 'ell! Just breach into the circus for fuck saeke! What could they possibly do to us?" - My impression of one of your bloodthirsty Nobles. Seriously though, there is always a challenge when you need one in Dwarf Fortress.
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 01:16:18 pm »

Haha, fooled you! I have kitchen counters for sale in North Plymbuggleton! Plus the latest live feeds and blu rays! Did I mention that I am a Nigerian prince?
I am going to sig this later.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:32:13 pm »

Is there any way to look at civilization population levels? I looked in Legends and couldn't find populations listed.

How do relations with other civs actually work? I mean, there are usually more than one of each type of civilization. It seems as though, in fort mode, the game picks one of each race for you to interact with. You simply do not get to interact with multiple goblin nations. So if the game picks a weak gobbo nation, you get no attacks, even if you plop your fort smack dab in the center of a different, stronger goblin nation? My fort is in the center of a strong goblin nation, but it is not the same goblin nation my dwarves have been decimating for centuries.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 03:53:09 pm »

Afaik it simply picks the closest civ and ignores the others. As far as civ numbers go, I've been using legendsviewer in the past, not really sure if there's any easy way (or any way at all) to do it in legends mode.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:13 pm »

Thanks, Manveru, I'll check that out. I'm one of those weirdos who do not like starting fights, so if I have no enemies to start out with, the fort gets abandoned to boredom pretty fast. On the other hand, I've never had thousands of pieces of candy to play with before...

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:50 pm »

theres an export option in legends viewer that creates a site/pops .txt file. If you know the name of their fortress you should be able to look it up.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 10:41:46 am »

regarding size, since it's only year 500~ dragons are barely half grown if they were born at worldgen, rocs mature in 20 years, have have a size 3/5th that of a fully grown dragon
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »

I got two visits from goblinclause, so maybe he got turned around and came back to me?
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.