Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Gen - trying to recreate using Seed data  (Read 1845 times)

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
Re: World Gen - trying to recreate using Seed data
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 04:23:23 pm »

I'd have abandoned this world ages ago, but those ore numbers are astounding.  I've spend all day today generating new worlds, trying to come even close to that.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:58 am »

Couple of things it could be:

If a world is generated with rejections, it will not generate the same world on another operating system/platform.

Specifically, if you generate a world in windows, with rejections (any number) and then take those same seeds and try to generate that same world in linux, it will not generate the same world.  I have proven this directly, myself. 
Same world_gen/seeds WITHOUT rejections? Identical, cross-platform.

That aside, if it's a vanilla/stock/plain/normal (that means no LNP, NOTHING else but the plain 34.11 download) and you use the same world_gen data from one world generated with that version, and regenerate it, it will be identical.

Having done this hundreds (thousands?) of times, I am confident this is the case. If any aspect of the world_gen data was modified by hand or via a text editor (not in-game), all bets are off, you're on your own.

However, if you have a specific embark you're looking to reproduce, please post your requirements here and I'll be happy to help.  :D

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »

Considering that I recreated his example embark by extracting the generation data and generating a world from that (got the approx 400k gold and 70k iron, etc), I'm willing to generate the world again and then zip up the resulting region prior to embarking, then upload the file to where ever he desires it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 12:01:25 am »

This may possibly be an instance of this bug...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]