Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most Intense battles  (Read 1596 times)

zakanater19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most Intense battles
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »

Post your most intense battles! whether it be your last stand or a swift kill, post 'em  :P

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Intense battles
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:34:36 pm »

Around the 25th year of my fort, Relicshield, my dwarves were in the midst of walling off the first cavern level.  I had already taken on a forgotten beast and smashed it with a cave-in trap, but then I got this one.

The Forgotten Beast Lerdi Eslulost has come!  A great cardinal with external ribs.  It has a curling trunk and it has a bloated body.  Beware its webs!

Unlike the previous beast, which my dwarves were able to flee from, Lerdi was FAST.  It snagged a bunch of civilians with its webs and was about to go on a killing spree when Commander Sphalerite arrived on the scene with his new artifact white stork bone shield.  Lerdi spewed webs all over him, but Sphalerite was able to break free and attack with his axe.  He blocked and dodged, keeping the creature busy while the rest of the militia raced to the battle.  The forgotten beast managed to pin Sphalerite to the ground with its webs then crushed his hip.  Sphalerite was one of my Original Seven, so it was nerve-wracking to say the least!  Before Lerdi could land a killing blow, reinforcements finally arrived.  Goden II of the Claspletter Clan, the fortress's most prominent family, starting hacking away at Lerdi's back and managed to cut the forgotten beast in half! 

My fortress is now in its 81st year and all of the Original Seven are gone.  However, I'll never forget Commander Sphalerite and how he held back that web-spewing forgotten beast before help could arrive.  Though he didn't slay the beast himself, before he passed on, he killed 352 creatures in the name of Armok.  Decades later, his kill count still holds the record for Relicshield.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:36:18 pm by VerdantSF »

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:56:17 pm »

I just had a Forgotten Beast attack my forge level. It killed a few dwarves, and then started chasing someone's pet rabbit. The speedy rabbit kept the FB distracted for some time, and just when the beast was closing in for the kill, the rabbit gave birth to a bunch of bunnies. The rabbit scampered off while the FB tossed bunnies around the room, and at last my militia arrived to kill the monster.

That rabbit and her born-fighting offspring saved us from a crippling number of casualties.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »

That rabbit and her born-fighting offspring saved us from a crippling number of casualties.
Haha!  That battle bunny deserves a memorial!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »

One elite axelord clad in iron vs the elven princess and three squads of elven bowman, all riding grizzly bears.

They cut his nose off. He cut their faces off.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:30:07 pm »

I can't think of anything really intense, unless you count my fort MurkyRoads, which suffered from a self-inflicted zombie apocalypse from a necromancer migrant. Just about every race had sieged me, angry at losing caravans to the massive zombie horde that followed my necromayor around. The siegers usually didn't get a chance to even move from where they spawned, the horde would rip them apart in seconds.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52:31 pm »

It wasn't REALLY that intense, but I found it pretty cool when a dwarven infant's last earthly action (before bleeding to death) was punching the giant toad that was chewing on her.

She would've been a terror with a weapon and some armor...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 04:10:59 pm »

Around the 25th year of my fort, Relicshield, my dwarves were in the midst of walling off the first cavern level.  I had already taken on a forgotten beast and smashed it with a cave-in trap, but then I got this one.

The Forgotten Beast Lerdi Eslulost has come!  A great cardinal with external ribs.  It has a curling trunk and it has a bloated body.  Beware its webs!

So basically, you were attacked by this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right now, I have two FB's in the caverns that would lead to some very intense battles, if one wasn't stuck somewhere high up (it's a flier, and got stuck there with the pathing bug, a gold frog, beware its deadly dust!  and a scorpion goofing around in the water where it fell in and can't get out.  Most intense battle I had recently was a gigantic goblin siege of  70 goblins plus their devil leader.  My 20 dwarves clobbered them, but I wasn't so sure at first...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:14:59 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:39 am »

Got caught cold by a goblin ambush - through a very bad piece of planning a small group of goblins armed with crossbows murdered 7 of my 22 dorfs as they panicked and ran down a single lane hallway. The fort was rescued by a recent migrant farmer with a decent level of wrestler. The coup-de-grace came when he wrestled the final goblin marksman and tore his head off with his bare hands

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

So basically, you were attacked by this?

Haha, oh that FB procedural generation ;).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:05:02 pm »

I recently started a fortress, and headed for the caverns only when my voracious appetite for charcoal meant the surface was bare of trees. I landed right in the middle of a large clearing, and set the trees there to be felled. In the meantime, I sent my military out to scout the cavern, so that it would hold no further secrets. There were two of them, fully armoured in bronze but carrying no weapon or shield, so they crept along the sides of the walls, to peer out without being seen. A low fault in the rock revealed a massive cave crocodile, slumbering and close. The first soldier retreated, but the second was seen on the way to the station point and charged by the enormous beast.

The first exchange meant nothing, the crocodile scraping its teeth on the soldier's gauntlet and gaining a bruise in return, and each missed the other until the crocodile barged the soldier to the ground with a stunning blow. Flailing and desperate, the soldier was ready to die when the scaly mass filling her view suddenly stilled, though not with the softness of death. She stood and began beating and beating it in the head, not noticing the oddly-angled rear toe mangled by a wild punch. The crocodile came to and she returned its earlier favour by biting it in the front foot, and the effort of throwing her off dropped it to the ground again.

Her fists were quickly joined by others, as dwarves threw aside their tools to give aid. Despite their efforts the beast's skull remained intact, and it was able to rear up and charge in the moments it awoke. Its jaws missed their mark each time, but the dwarves were tiring.

Up above, in the small enclosure between the two tombs, one dwarf remained. Ducim had not been called upon to restrain the cave crocodile, and was entering the the southern tomb when the sounds of shouting and running drew her ear. Refocusing, she sensed a presence about her waist, and looked down to see long rabbity ears and big liquid eyes over a smooth rounded snout. After sinking her pick into the kobold's spleen and cleaving off both its arms near the elbow, she strode towards the wall to see what the noise was about.

'Bolts! Venom!' they cried, and told her to drop the pick and take up a quiver while she waited for a weapon. Quickly the crossbow and bolts were made, and the bolts carried beyond the hall of skeletons to the room where the venom was kept. 'Tallow!' they cried, but the kitchen was empty. The turkeys and horses had long been butchered, and the only animals were the wild crocodile and a lone kestrel no bigger than a fist.

Quiet in the panic, Ducim put down the useless quiver and returned to her faithful pick. She took up the bloodied weapon, thought for a moment, and flipped it from her mining hand to her weapon hand.

The journey to the caverns was brief, Ducim being quick on her feet. The first blow to the crocodile's broad head bounced off hard, though a resounding crack rang out around the dwarves, and upon the second blow the beast's head tolled no more.

I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.