Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only one migrant?  (Read 1267 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Only one migrant?
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

So I've been playing DF for quite a while now, but I've never encountered this before:

The migrant wave of this season has already arrived, and now I just got another migrant all on its own.
Could it be a werebeast/vampire?

Edit: This dwarf also has some other special features: when I look into the status tab, it says he owns 28 items, but his inventory only lists 14 , and for some reason he has 2 objects of worship (I've never encountered this before, but that could be because I rarely look at the relationships of my dwarfs) and 2 deities.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:23:14 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Only one migrant?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:57:13 am »

2 deities arn't that strange, I've seen that happen before. I also did have migration waves of 3 to 5 (not counting the first two), but never of 1, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a possibility.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:11:07 am »

I've had the odd wave of one migrant. I don't think it means anything.

'Object of Worship' is, I believe, a creature posing as a god. You can press Enter over Oslak or Dusna to see what they are. Those sound like goblin names -- perhaps your lone migrant was kidnapped and later escaped.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »

You can press Enter over Oslak or Dusna to see what they are.
Nope, I can view the deities, but not the objects of worship.

He hasn't shown any odd behaviour, so I'll just let him live.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:12:30 pm »

'Object of Worship' is, I believe, a creature posing as a god.
No, it's just a creature who holds great power - even back in 40d, it was quite common for civ members to worship megabeasts.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:45 am »

Ah, alright then. Still curious about how a dwarf comes to worship a goblin-named creature.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 12:15:12 am »

Ah, alright then. Still curious about how a dwarf comes to worship a goblin-named creature.
Many dwarven civilizations are subjugated by goblins, sometimes briefly.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:23:16 am »

2 deities arn't that strange, I've seen that happen before. I also did have migration waves of 3 to 5 (not counting the first two), but never of 1, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a possibility.

I've seen 1 deity, none, etc.
I found it weird when a migrant had 7 deities, almost all of them being deities who were worshipped by most of the fort already. One of them wasn't on anyone else.
I've never seen "Object of Worship" before o.o
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 04:43:46 am »

Many dwarven civilizations are subjugated by goblins, sometimes briefly.

some 'powerful beasts'use goblin naming style too, without having anything to do with goblins, no surprise there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:23 pm »

Megabeasts don't belong to any civilization, so their names are translated into a random language. Take a look at Legends mode and you'll see megabeasts with Goblin, Human, Dwarven, and even Elven names.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »

Megabeasts don't belong to any civilization, so their names are translated into a random language. Take a look at Legends mode and you'll see megabeasts with Goblin, Human, Dwarven, and even Elven names.

Is it random, or is it possibly related to which civ was first to encounter them?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »

Almost definitely random, as evidenced by the fact that most forgotten beasts are never encountered at all but still have names (as well as the fact that it's been random since before other civs could even discover them during worldgen).